Filled with cheesy sausage deliciousness, Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms are the appetizer of your dreams! As yummy as they are EASY to make!
For the past few years, oven-baked stuffed mushrooms have been my go-to party appetizer. They’re cheesy, delicious, and definitely a crowd-pleaser. However, with my newfound obsession with my air fryer, I knew I just HAD to try out some of these tasty treats air fryer style. I am SO glad that I tried it because Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms are crispy, delicious, appetizer perfection. Stuffed with a delicious filling of cream cheese and sausage, your guests won’t be able to resist coming back for seconds (and thirds) of these bite-sized treats!
The Perfect Party Bite
It wasn’t until a few years ago that I finally gave in and tried eating mushrooms. They were just one of those foods that I avoided like the plague since I was a young kid. Man oh man am I glad I took the plunge! Mushrooms have a delicious savory flavor and a unique meaty texture. They’re nutritious AND delicious!
Once I started eating mushrooms, I never looked back. Now they’re a topping for my favorite pizza, a key ingredient in my famous Chicken Florentine, and now they’re the highlight in my favorite new appetizer – air fryer stuffed mushrooms!
These little pop-able treats are stuffed with the most decadent filling and crisped to perfection in the air fryer. They’re probably one of the easiest appetizers I’ve ever made. Plus, they’re definitely one of the most popular appetizers I’ve ever brought to a party. If you’ve got a gathering coming up, you might want to make a double batch of these air fryer cream cheese stuffed mushrooms – they go QUICK!
Mushrooms – I like to use portobello mushrooms for these sausage stuffed mushrooms because they’re a little bit bigger and can hold more of that delicious filling. However, if you prefer bite-sized mushrooms, go for a button mushroom with a little less filling!
Filling – for that cheesy delicious filling you’ll need some sweet Italian sausage, grated parmesan, and cream cheese.
How to cook stuffed mushrooms in an air fryer
STEP ONE: You’ll need your Italian sausage pre-cooked and cooled before adding it to the filling, so make sure you cook it ahead of time. When the sausage is cooled, preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees F and spray the basket with olive oil cooking spray. This helps the mushrooms to not stick to the basket! Then de-stem the mushrooms.
STEP TWO: Grab a medium bowl and get mixing that mushroom stuffing! Beat the cream cheese until it’s nice and smooth and add in the spices. Mix in the sausage, parmesan cheese, green onion, and 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese. Give it a good stir so it’s all mixed together and then set it aside until you’re ready to stuff those mushrooms.
STEP THREE: Place your washed and de-stemmed mushrooms in the air fryer basket and spray with olive oil spray and cook for 3 minutes. This gets the mushrooms cooked and slightly crispy so they’ll hold the stuffing better!
STEP FOUR: Pull the mushrooms out and carefully fill the mushrooms with the cream cheese mixture. Pop the stuffed mushrooms back into the air fryer for 5 minutes.
STEP FIVE: After five minutes, top with mushrooms with the remaining cheese and place back into the air fryer for 2 more minutes. Make sure you keep an eye on them though. You want to pull them out of the air fryer as soon as they are bubbly and slightly browned. Serve hot with a little extra green onion on top for garnish!
Tips for Success
- If you want to prep these bites ahead of time, partially cook the mushrooms and then fill them. Place them on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and pop them in the fridge until you’re ready to finish cooking them. Then heat for 6 minutes before topping with cheddar cheese.
- You can add all kinds of yummy mix-ins to theis recipe. My husband likes some diced jalapeno and bacon in the mix. My kids like pepperjack cheese on top. Play with the recipe to your taste.
- Want to really mix things up? Use portobello mushrooms instead! These XL stuffed mushrooms are great for a dinner party appetizer or low carb meal.
How do you clean mushrooms before stuffing?
Before you’re ready to make stuffed mushrooms air fryer style, you’ll want to clean up your mushrooms and prep them for stuffing. Start by giving them a quick rinse in a colander. I like to wash my mushrooms even if the package says they’ve already been cleaned. Nobody wants to bite down on some dirt!
After rinsing, twist the stems off the mushrooms and discard them. Then take a spoon and gently (mushrooms can be very fragile!) scoop out the insides. Then you’re ready to go ahead and stuff them for your sausage stuffed mushrooms air fryer style!
Can you freeze stuffed mushrooms?
If you want to have a batch of air fryer stuffed mushrooms on hand for any given moment, you can go ahead and make some to have in the freezer. Freeze them before air frying them though or else they won’t have that delicious crisp to them.
So, just prep your mushrooms, stuff them, then pop them in the freezer. When you’re ready to serve your air fryer stuffed mushrooms, defrost them and then air fry them according to the recipe below.
Need more appetizer inspiration?
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Queso Dip
- Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Spicy Honey BBQ Instant Pot Meatballs
- Caprese Tomato Bites
- more APPETIZER recipes…
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and spices until smooth. Mix in the sausage, parmesan cheese, green onion, and 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese. Stir until well mixed and set aside.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth. Then remove the stems and insides.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil and place the mushrooms into the basket. Spray the mushrooms with olive oil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Carefully take the mushrooms out of the basket and fill them with the cream cheese mixture. Place the filled mushrooms back into the air fryer for another 5 minutes.
- After five minutes, top with mushrooms with the remaining cheddar cheese. Then cook for 2 more minutes. Keep a close eye on them. The mushrooms are ready once they are bubbly and slightly browned on top.
- Remove the mushrooms from the basket and transfer them to a serving plate. Sprinkle some green onion on top and serve warm.