The Gimlet is a timeless cocktail made with fresh lime juice, a touch of sweetness, and flowery Gin for a perfectly refreshing drink!
After trying a refreshing Gimlet Martini, you’ll know precisely why this classic cocktail will never go out of style. Three simple ingredients, gin or vodka, lime, and sugar, create the perfect trifecta of sensational flavors. Channel your favorite Mad Men persona, decide between on the rocks or straight up, and enjoy with delicious swagger! This and classic White Russian make me feel like I could pay homage to some fantastic drinks in modern time.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINKS pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
Have you ever saddled up to a bar (perhaps you’re not John Wayne, but you know what I mean) and been at a complete loss of what to order? More than once I’ve proclaimed, “I wish I had ‘a drink’!”
“A drink” is that signature cocktail ordered with ease and confidence because you know it will always hit the spot. A perfect, reliable cocktail will save you from impatient bartenders starring you down and bumbling, incoherent orders. Insert this Gimlet recipe. #lifegoals
After a tasting a perfectly made gimlet, you’ll know you’ve died and gone to “drink” heaven.
What is a Gimlet?
A Gimlet is a cocktail made up traditionally of gin, lime juice, and a sweetener of choice, such as simple syrup.
Gimlets can have variations, however. Vodka certainly can be used as a substitution for the Gin. A concentrated lime syrup called Rose’s can replace the fresh lime juice or Simple Syrup. Now you have a Vodka Gimlet, how easy was that!
Although the gimlet became popular in the ’50s, it was first introduced to British soldiers in the early 19th century as a means to fight scurvy. (Who knew battling scurvy could be so fun?!)
How to make a Gimlet?
That’s the best part. It’s ridiculously fast, easy, and requires no special ingredients.
- Pour gin or vodka, lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice, shake, then strain into a martini glass or a rocks glass with ice. Enjoy!
What is the easiest way to make simple syrup?
When I see bottled simple syrup at the store, I think, “Who are these suckers that are purchasing simple syrup?”
Perhaps you’re being deceived by the manufactured Simple Syrup racket? Well, the buck stops here, there will be no more getting swindled by sugar water!
- Method 1: Place equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan. For instance, if you use 1/2 cup water, mix in 1/2 cup sugar. Heat and stir occasionally until sugar has dissolved and liquid is clear. Cool.
- Method 2: Place equal parts sugar and water in a microwave safe cup or bowl. Heat in microwave, stopping occasionally to stir until sugar has dissolved and liquid is clear. Cool.
Store leftover Simple Syrup in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator up to two weeks.
How to make a Vodka Gimlet and make it even better!
- Cucumber Gimlet: Muddle a few slices of cucumber in the bottom of the cocktail shaker. Add gimlet ingredients, strain into a martini glass, and garnish with cucumber slice.
- Blackberry Gimlet: Muddle fresh blackberries and mint in the bottom of the cocktail shaker. Add gimlet ingredients, strain into a martini glass, and garnish with a blackberry and mint sprig.
- Strawberry Gin Smash: Muddle fresh strawberries and mint or basil in a highball glass. Add gimlet ingredients and fill the glass with ice. Stir and add a splash of club soda. Garnish with a fresh strawberry slice.
Do you love classic cocktails too? Try some of my other favorites!
Tools used to make this Gimlet
Cocktail Shaker: This shaker is a bartender’s best friend! Easy to use and the best way to mix up your favorite cocktails!
Martini Glass: I’m a cocktail enthusiast and a great cocktail should be served in a quality glass.
- 1.5 ounces Gin or Vodka
- .5 ounce simple syrup see recipe notes
- .5 ounce fresh lime juice
- lime wedges or mint, for garnish
- Add gin or vodka, simple syrup, and fresh lime juice to an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into a stemmed cocktail glass (straight up) or a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with fresh lime wedge and mint, if desired
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!