Grilled potatoes are tossed with bacon, grilled onions and a mustard dressing to make GRILLED POTATO SALAD, a delicious side for any backyard barbecue!
During the heat of August I try to keep my oven off as much as I can. It’s been pretty hot here lately and I’m not as used to it as I was when we lived in Arizona. In the evenings it does cool down but it takes time for the inside of my house to cool so I like to cook dinner out back on the grill. That way my house isn’t hotter and I can relax on the back porch while dinner cooks. I had never tried potatoes on the grill before I made this and I’m so glad that I did! They were delicious and tasted great the next day also.
The grilling the potatoes you get a great outside and then the inside is soft and airy. Adding the grilled onion and bacon make them even better and it really is simple to make. I love that they are dressed with mustard and olive oil. That means that they can be made for a barbecue for friends and you don’t have to worry about them sitting out! I ate these straight off the grill and pipping hot and then later after they had cooled to room temperature and I really can’t say which was better. My husband couldn’t get enough of them so you know they’re good.
- 1 lb small potatoes (I used a mix of red, yellow and purple)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- heat grill to medium heat
- slice potatoes in half lengthwise and place in a medium sized bowl
- add the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder and toss to coat the potatoes
- lay the potatoes on the hot grill cut side down
- lay the onion slices on the grill as well
- allow to cook for 7 to 10 minutes until you can easily flip without tearing the potato
- allow to cook an additional 7 to 10 minutes
- while potatoes grill, add spicy mustard to the previous mixing bowl and whisk with remaining olive oil mixture
- remove potatoes from grill and place in the bowl
- remove the onions to a cutting board and chop
- add the chopped onion to the bowl, as well as the bacon and toss to coat everything in the mustard mixture
- serve warm or room temperature