SUN DRIED TOMATO PESTO makes a delicious appetizer that can be used on pasta and pizza too!
I think the first time I had a sun dried tomato I was in my 20’s. They kind of scared me when I was younger. As most unusual foods do when you are a picky eating kid. I obviously became more adventurous, because now I love sun dried tomatoes. I like to use them to create fun twists on some classic recipes. That’s how this sun dried tomato pesto came to be.
I mixed sun dried tomatoes with classic pesto ingredients to create this yummy spread. I toasted up some slices of french bread under the boiler for about a minute on each side. The sun dried tomato pesto was a great spread on the toasted bread. My husband and I could’ve eaten this whole bowl by ourselves.
This sun dried tomato pesto was really delicious as an appetizer, but mix it up with some penne or bow tie pasta and it would make a delicious side dish. You could even add some chicken to that pasta and make it a full meal. Anything you like with a classic pesto sauce, I’m sure you’ll love with this sun dried tomato pesto sauce too. What are some of your favorite uses for pesto? Or what are your favorite ways to enjoy sun dried tomatoes?
This sun dried tomato pesto would be a great addition to any baby showers, cocktail parties or any parties where delicious appetizers will be served.
- 3/4 cup (dry pack) sun dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 4 TBL olive oil
- 3 TBL cold water
- Soak sun dried tomatoes in hot water for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain water off tomatoes.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend until all ingredients are combined and chopped.
- Will be a bit chunky.
- Add more water TBL at a time until you get a texture you like.
- Spread on toasted baguettes, pasta, or pizza dough.