SUN DRIED TOMATO PESTO makes a delicious appetizer that can be used on pasta and pizza too!
I think the first time I had a sun-dried tomato I was in my 20’s. They kind of scared me when I was younger. As most unusual foods do when you are a picky eating kid. I obviously became more adventurous, because now I love sun-dried tomatoes. I like to use them to create fun twists on some classic recipes. That’s how this sun-dried tomato pesto came to be.
I mixed sun-dried tomatoes with classic pesto ingredients to create this yummy spread. I toasted up some slices of french bread under the broiler for about a minute on each side. The sun-dried tomato pesto was a great spread on the toasted bread. My husband and I could’ve eaten this whole bowl by ourselves.
This sun-dried tomato pesto was really delicious as an appetizer, but mix it up with some penne or bow tie pasta and it would make a delicious side dish. You could even add some chicken to that pasta and make it a full meal. Anything you like with a classic pesto sauce, I’m sure you’ll love with this sun-dried tomato pesto sauce too. What are some of your favorite uses for pesto? Or what are your favorite ways to enjoy sun-dried tomatoes?
This sun-dried tomato pesto would be a great addition to any baby showers, cocktail parties or any parties where delicious appetizers will be served.
- 3/4 cup dry pack sun dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 4 tbl olive oil
- 3 tbl cold water
- Soak sun dried tomatoes in hot water for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain water off tomatoes.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend until all ingredients are combined and chopped.
- Will be a bit chunky.
- Add more water TBL at a time until you get a texture you like.
- Spread on toasted baguettes, pasta, or pizza dough.