This cheesy Skillet Turkey Cornbread Casserole with salsa, black beans, and corn is the perfect family dinner for those busy weekday nights!
You can say I’m a lover of cheese. Unless you’re vegan or lactose intolerant, I’m willing to bet you are too. Admit it, you were lured here by that melty gooey spoonful in the photo, right? I had the urge to make dinner with ground turkey, but I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do with it until I walked past the cornbread mix, and then a light bulb went off in my hungry little brain.
I started to think about how tasty a casserole would be if I cooked up some ground turkey with the Southwestern flavors of onion, cumin, chili powder, black beans, and salsa. Then I thought about how wonderful it would be if I covered it in corn bread. The melted cheese on top was a no-brainer.
I love Trader Joe’s cornbread mix, but I thought it was just a wee bit too sweet for this dinner. If you have the choice, I would go for one that was a bit more savory. Then again, the sweet with the semi-spicy did do interesting things to my taste buds.
This dinner almost looks like it could be shepherd’s pie, but it is way different. I ended up using a very mild salsa so that it wouldn’t be too spicy for the kids and they really loved it.
I’m thinking this would be a great weeknight meal, especially when things start to get really busy between soccer and volleyball practices! Easy casserole recipes are my favorite during the week.
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 12 oz jar salsa
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- corn bread mix mine called for egg, 1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (or Mexican cheese blend)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In very large oven safe skillet over medium high heat, cook onion with turkey, cumin and chili powder until browned, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add corn, salsa, and black beans. Stir to combine and allow to heat through.
- Meanwhile, mix corn bread mix with required ingredients per package instructions. Add to the top of the turkey mixture and spread to cover.
- Cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add shredded cheese to the top of the cornbread and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
If you love cheesy food, be sure to check out:
What size skillet did you use? Will a 12 in skillet work? Thanks.
Real Housemoms JK says
The 12 inch skillet should work just fine! Enjoy!
Tawny Greene says
Delicious, easy, and my Toddlers loved it!
Aubrey Cota says
Yay! Thank you so much.