PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS are a fantastic breakfast idea perfect for fall! Moist pumpkin muffins are studded with dark chocolate chips for a treat you can enjoy any time of the day!
One of my all-time favorite breakfasts is a big fat double chocolate chip muffin! I mean really, what is better than basically eating chocolate cake for breakfast?! I decided to put a seasonal spin on my favorite for fall and make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. You can justify having one of these heavenly treats for breakfast or any other time of the day for that matter!
Life has been crazy lately and our family has been up to some serious fun! My brother posted something about Family Feud auditions coming to Minneapolis as a joke on Facebook and how our family should apply. My sister and I got to thinking and we figured, heck, we SHOULD apply! we think we are a pretty entertaining bunch, aka a CRAZY bunch and would make for good TV!
My sister did most of the legwork and put together an application for our family. She highlighted the diversity of our family, with one brother who is a country bumpkin of sorts and the other brother who work in New York for big companies like Lockheed Martin. Shortly after submitting our email application, we got an acceptance letter to come to Minneapolis for live auditions. We were stoked!
We all dressed up and made the 3-5 hour drive to the city and were excited to have our shot in front of the executive producer. We were full of energy and enthusiasm and most importantly, cleared the board on our round with the questions “What are Eskimos known for?”. Apparently, we impressed the producer because they slid us a special paper to go see someone about the next step. We were called into a different conference room where we had an individual family interview with a different person from Family Feud. We got to yell really loud and tell them about ourselves, then we were on our way.
We were all on a serious adrenaline rush after all this and decided to go out for dinner. About midway through we all started coming off the high and crashed. Too bad we still had a 3.5 hour drive that night to get back home for work the next morning! If only I had some of these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins waiting for me the next morning, it really would have been an amazing weekend.
When it was all said and done, we were all thrilled with the experience and had so much fun. I highly suggest you take a shot at it if something similar ever comes to a city near you!
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 c. cake flour or 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 c. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, blend the sugars, eggs, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not over mix!
- Add paper liners to 12 muffin tins and fill each liner 3/4 full with batter.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 c. of the chocolate chips by microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring well after each 30 seconds. Top each muffin tin with a heaping Tablespoon of melted chocolate and using a butter knife gently swirl it into the center.
- Top the muffins with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Store cooled muffins in an airtight container.
More delicious pumpkin treats for fall!