This CREAMY MUSHROOM RISOTTO is made with cheesy arborio rice and a creamy white wine mushroom sauce!
Do you ever come up with the best recipe, that you know everyone is going to love, and then it comes to a side dish and you’re stuck? Is it just me? Side dishes are always hard. I mean, asparagus is great but you can only eat so much of it, same with spinach. When I decided to make Steak Roll Ups for Valentine’s Day dinner with my sweetie I knew that I needed a side to go with it that was just as fancy. Enter Creamy Mushroom Risotto. Sounds impressive right?
Risotto is actually really simple to make it just takes a little time and patience. You start with your rice and a little wine, cook the mixture until the wine is absorbed then you begin adding chicken broth one ladle full at a time. You stir and stir while the liquid is absorbed then add a little more until you have this amazing creamy rice. Then you add some Parmesan cheese to make it deliciously cheesy and, in this case, you top the whole thing with a creamy white wine mushroom sauce.
I think one of the hardest parts of making risotto is figuring out the consistency. On an episode of Top Chef (I’m totally addicted to that show!) I saw Wolfgang Puck tell a contestant that the risotto should spread slightly when it is put on the plate, so now I cook mine so there is enough liquid left in it that loses its shape and spread out a little when I serve it.
You can make this as a side with a fancy-schmancy dish like Steak Roll-Ups, or you can make this and serve it as the main course all on its own!
- Place Chicken broth in a saucepan and heat it over low heat.
- On a separate burner heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add rice to pan stirring quickly for 1 - 2 minutes, then add 1/4 c wine to the pan.
- Keep stirring the rice until the liquid is almost gone then add 1 ladle full of broth.
- Continuing stirring until the liquid is absorbed and repeat adding the broth and stirring until it is absorbed, until all of the broth has been incorporated.
- While the rice is cooking heat butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Once pan is hot add mushroom and cook until they have browned and are tender.
- Add 1/4 cup of wine and cook until the liquid reduces by half.
- Add heavy cream and continue to cook until liquid has reduced by half.
- When rice is ready stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Serve rice and ladle mushroom cream sauce over top.
If you liked this make sure to check out these awesome side dish recipes: