These BALSAMIC STEAK ROLL UPS are easy to make but look so fancy no one will ever guess how simple they are!
Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and if you are anything like me you have no idea what you’re doing for dinner. I don’t go crazy overboard for the holiday but it is a great reminder to tell the people you love most in your life that you love them…and it’s a good excuse to go out to a nice dinner, or in my case, try out a new recipe that is a little fancier than your usual weeknight meal.
This recipe looks fancy schmancy but it is super simple to make so even if you aren’t known for your cooking abilities you’re gonna be able to pull this one off. You start with a nice flank steak cut into 3 inch wide strips. Cover the pieces with plastic wrap and use a mallet to pound the meat into 1/4 inch thick slices. Then place the steak in an airtight container with the marinade and let it sit for 1-2 hours or overnight.
When the steak is ready lay the slices out and fill them with a few pieces of trimmed asparagus and thinly sliced carrots. The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it however you like so if carrots and asparagus aren’t your thing choose a vegetable that is and go for it!
Roll the meat up around the vegetables and use a toothpick to hold it closed. Or, if you don’t have a toothpick, you can always use butcher’s twine to tie each roll up closed.
Then heat a pan with some olive oil and cook your roll ups for about 2 minutes on each side. You want a nice brown sear on each side so be patient and don’t rush it. Once they are done let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. We like serving this dish with Parmesan Mushroom Risotto.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Flank Steak or Sirloin Steak
- 1/2 c Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 2-3 Carrots
- Olive Oil
- Cut steak into 3 inch wide strips.
- Place each piece between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a mallet to pound the meat into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place steak into a resealable container with the aged balsamic vinegar and let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Remove steak from container and salt and pepper each piece.
- Trim the asparagus and wrap the whole bunch in a damp paper towel then microwave for 2 minutes to partially cook it.
- Cut the carrots into matchstick pieces.
- Lay the vegetables on a slice of steak and roll it up around them using a toothpick to secure the steak. Repeat until all of the steak is rolled up.
- Heat a pan with olive oil and place steak in the pan cooking for approximately 1-2 minutes per side.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes then serve.
This recipe is so easy to make anyone can do it but it looks so fancy that no one will ever guess how simple it was. Impress your sweetheart with this amazing dinner on Valentine’s Day, or just have a really awesome meal any day of the week. Either way, you’re going to make someone happy!
If you’re looking for some other easy recipes that seem super fancy make sure you try these!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!