These Extra Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are easy to make and have the most perfect texture and the best flavor! These will become your go-to chocolate chip cookies.
I’m still in shock but Fall is way underfoot and we are headed into the holiday season now! I’ve been baking up a storm lately with all of my favorite Fall treats like pumpkin bread, homemade soft caramels, spice cake, and lots and lots of cookies. The over-abundance of cookies in so many varieties has to be one of my all-time favorite parts of the holiday season! There are few things that make me more giddy and excited than a holiday cookie exchange. Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite cookie recipes, extra chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
EXTRA CHEWY OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
There are two very important secrets to creating a really chewy chocolate chip cookie. The first is chilling the dough. I know I know – nobody wants to wait for the dough to chill, but believe me, it’s worth it. I’ve had my fair share of impatient days when I just HAD to have a cookie right away and didn’t wait for the dough to chill and I always regret it.
The second secret is adding shredded coconut. That’s right, shredded coconut! It doesn’t make your cookies taste coconut-y at all, but it totally changes the texture of the cookies and makes them extra super duper chewy in the middle. You’ll want to start adding it to all of your chocolate chip cookies after trying these!
These are the perfect cookie to take to any holiday party – or just to eat at home in your comfy, snuggly clothes and slippers while watching The Santa Clause.
Want more cookie recipes?
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Monster Cookies
- Salted Caramel & Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- Glazed Apple Cookies
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Extra Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls get used just about every day at my house. The grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Silicone Mat: I use a silicone mat on my baking sheet practically everytime I bake. The mat makes for easy cleanup and my foods don’t stick to the pan.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. In a second bowl cream together butter and sugars. Mix in vanilla, eggs, milk, and coconut.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover tightly and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop cookie scoops (about 3 tablespoons each) onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Store in airtight container.