Dirty Rice is an easy, flavorful side dish with a little kick that will be a tasty addition to your favorite southern meals!
We love easy recipes around here. We also love southern recipes. This Dirty Rice recipe is the perfect combination between those two, add in our favorite Fried Rice and we’ve covered the best of everything! There are many different ways to make Dirty Rice. This recipe makes it nice and simple to prepare dirty rice at home.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
In a busy household where everyone is going in different directions, I know that if I put this Dirty Rice on the table everyone is happy to sit down and enjoy a meal and family time. Having a large family, we thrive on these types of meals. Homemade dirty rice is so easy and so quick to make. I love that it can be cooking while I finish off the rest of dinner. I know it will impress my family with something absolutely yummy each and every time.
What is Dirty Rice?
Dirty Rice is a traditional Creole dish that is comprised mainly of:
- Chicken Livers
As we all know kids can be picky sometimes, so in order to make it a little more kid-friendly, we left out the chicken livers and dirtied this rice up enough that it is still something that they love and isn’t too spicy for their taste buds!
How to make Dirty Rice
- We start off by cooking our rice in chicken stock, which gives it just that much more flavor. That is what this dish is based around, FLAVOR!
- We then fry up some smoked sausage, get a good browning of that sausage making it nice and crispy. Then we add in onions, peppers, and celery until nice and tender.
- Stir your rice into the sausage and vegetable mixture and sprinkle in some creole seasoning, red pepper flakes and garnish with parsley and you have yourself one easy and tasty side dish.
This rice is a Southern classic that’ll leave everyone ready to take a trip to New Orleans! If you can’t get enough Creole and Cajun food, try these some of my other favorite recipes – Cajun Lasagna and Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
Want to add more to your side dish recipe box? Check out what else we love!
- Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta
- Slow Cooker Mushroom & Wild Rice Pilaf
- Honey Sriracha Coleslaw
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- Super Easy Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Grilled Parmesan Garlic Bread
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Dirty Rice recipe
Large Pot: This pot is a kitchen essential for everything from dinner to desserts. I use mine all the time and with proper care, it’ll last for years and years.
Saute Pan: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Serving Bowl: These are some of my favorite serving bowls as they are very well made and they make my everyday dishes look fancy with little effort.
- In a large pot add your rice and chicken broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile in saute pan add olive oil and smoked sausage, cook until browned.
- Add pepper, onion, and celery and cook until tender.
- Once rice is done stir into your sausage and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with Creole seasoning and red pepper flakes, stir until combined.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.