This creamy and easy coconut cream pie is a show-stopper that’s perfect for your next BBQ or potluck. Creamy & sweet with zing from the lime this is perfect!
Nothing says summer like BBQ’s, potlucks and pies. And we’ve got the queen of all pies today. Coconut cream pie is the kind of thing that appeals to everyone. Not overly sugary and with a texture that captures all the things… Flaky pastry, creamy filling, silky whipped cream, and toasted coconut bits for days! It’s good enough to rival my husband’s favorite Banana Cream Pie for best pie at our summer cookouts.
COCONUT CREAM PIE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This pie might not look quite like the traditional pie you’re used to. I’ve made to some adaptations to this homemade coconut cream pie. Instead of a fluted pie plate, I used a straight-sided tart pan. I just find that they bake better and look a little more elegant. But the flavor and texture are all about that crispy pastry. I’ve made hundreds of tarts and pies in my day and this method always gets me the best results.
I’ve also used coconut extract in the filling rather than shredded coconut for this easy coconut cream pie. That is just because I don’t like the texture of coconut in the creaminess of the filling. I prefer to top the pie with the shredded coconut and add the extract into the actual filling. I find it gives such a clean coconut flavor and keeps the texture smooth and creamy.
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
- Line your tart ring or pie plate with pie crust and blind bake it according to the instructions. If you want to make a tart-style crust instead, this recipe is perfect!
- Whisk the eggs and the cream with the coconut extract.
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Slowly add egg mixture and whisk until the mixture beings to boil and thicken.
- Pour the coconut mixture into your baked pie crust and let set in the fridge for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Whip heavy cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Top the set pie with the whipping cream and toasted coconut. Zest lime over the top and serve.
Tips For Success
- When making this filling it’s really important to whisk the egg mixture while it’s on the stove. Being over direct heat, it is possible to scramble the eggs and end up with a lumpy filling. Add the egg mixture slowly to temper them to the heat.
- Make sure that your pie crust has fully cooled before you pour the coconut filling into the pastry.
- Be sure to remove the pan from the heat before you whisk in the butter. If not, it could melt too quickly and not absorb into the filling properly.
And that’s it! The easiest, best coconut cream pie recipe for every BBQ all summer forever! Enjoy!
Try some of my other completely craveable coconut desserts!
- Coconut Cream Truffles
- Buttery Coconut Bars
- Banana Coconut Bundt Cake
- Toasted Coconut Poke Cake
- Coconut Rum Cupcakes
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Coconut Cream Pie recipe
Pie Plate: A good pie plate is a kitchen essential for any home baker. I really like this plate! It’s a little deeper than your standard pie plate and has a lip that makes decorative edges easy.
Medium Saucepan: I don’t know what I’d do without this saucepan. It gets used in my kitchen every day. The glass lid even has strainer sides so I even have a colander for pasta!
Whisk: This is my favorite set of whisks. There’s a size for every job and the thicker handles give me a good grip.
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate or straight sided tart ring. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans or dried kidney beans. Bake according to package directions for a one-crust pie.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk together the heavy cream and egg yolks. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, coconut extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on filling in pan; let stand 30 minutes. Spoon custard mixture into prepared crust, cover and chill 4 hours or until set. (preferably overnight)
- Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, beating until soft peaks form. Spread or pipe whipped cream over pie filling. Garnish with toasted coconut and/or lime zest, if desired.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!