COCONUT RUM CUPCAKES are a surprisingly easy and moist tropical treat with a hint of rum!
I used to scoff at homemade cake. Frankly most homemade cakes that I had tasted in the past were overly dense and very dry. I like a light and moist cake personally and when I make box mixes that is what I get…for the first 4 hours. After a half day boxed cupcakes start to dry out quickly and loose their luster. It really seems like there is no win?! That is until I actually started making homemade cupcakes.
After getting my base recipe just right, I was in love! These cupcakes are soooo moist and they stay that way for DAYS. Wow, why had I waited so long to give in to homemade cake?
The thought of making a cake from scratch seemed overwhelming. When you compare it to dumping a box mix, some oil, eggs and water in a bowl, yes it is a bit more time consuming. In the end, it really is quite easy though. Instead of that box mix, you just add your dry ingredients and give it some extra love with sour cream for an extra moist cake.
I’ve made chocolate versions and vanilla versions and now this coconut rum version. Once you get your base recipe perfected, you just swap out a few simple ingredients here and there and viola, you have a new tasty cupcake everyone will love. I brought these to work and they disappeared quickly. I stashed some at my desk to enjoy for the week, and let me tell you, 3 days later it literally tasted just as good as the first day!
- 1 c. shortening butter flavored
- 1 c. butter
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. rum extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 32 oz. bag powdered sugar
- 2 c. shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar for a minute. Add the eggs, sour cream and coconut milk and mix until combined. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat for 1-2 minutes until smooth and only a few lumps are visible.
- In 24 lined cupcake pans, fill each cup ¾ full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, spread the coconut on a baking pan and bake for 5-7 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to ensure it doesn't burn. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and shortening for 3-4 minutes until smooth and lightened a bit in color. Add the extracts, coconut milk and ⅓ of the powdered sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the remaining powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar and beat the buttercream until it is light and fluffy. The longer you beat the buttercream, the lighter it will become.
- Pipe or spread the buttercream on the cooled cupcakes and after each one immediately sprinkle with toasted coconut. If you wait too long, the coconut won't stick to the buttercream. Store in an airtight container.
More sweet treats you will love!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!