This rich chocolate Brownie Recipe from Scratch is a huge family favorite, especially since they are so easy to mak. You can whip them up any time!
Chewy, fudgy, and oh so chocolaty, Brownies Recipe Made From Scratch are simple to make and incredibly hard not to eat all at once! Using typical pantry items like flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and lots of chocolate chips, mixed with butter and eggs, yields the tastiest brownies that will have the whole family clamoring for the last piece!
Have you ever had a brownie you didn’t love? Yeah, I’ve been there too. I hate being disappointed by brownies and wishing for a calorie refund. I keep this Brownie Recipe from Scratch on heavy repeat because it never fails and hits all those delicious brownie buttons! So fudgy and so chocolaty, it’s a good thing these are so easy to make because my kids ask for them every weekend! We totally shake it up by adding ice cream, different colored chocolate chips on top and even sprinkles once in a while. This is our favorite, any and all occasions, brownie recipe to make.
Other Recipes to Serve with Brownies
- Sometimes you can’t have brownies without a little bit of ice cream, which means you have to try this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream, it’s amazing with brownies!
- Take your love of brownies and warm, melted chocolate and whip up some decadent, Easy Chocolate Lava Cake for a chocolate experience that will blow your mind.
Dry Ingredients: You will need flour, both brown and white sugar, cocoa powder, salt and chocolate chips. The chocolate can be chips or chunks, milk or dark chocolate.
Wet Ingredients: Set out the butter and eggs so they come to room temperature. You will also need vanilla extract.
How to Make Brownie Recipe From Scratch
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and prepare an 8×8 brownie pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, both sugars, cocoa powder and salt and whisk together.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir in the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
STEP THREE: Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top.
STEP FOUR: Bake the brownies at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Place the brownie pan on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, cut them into 16 squares and dig in!
Tips for Success
- This perfect brownie recipe is great because there is no need to pull out a mixer or beaters. Mix everything in bowls and you will have wonderfully fudgy brownies without lugging out any equipment!
- The brownie batter will be pretty thick so make sure to spread it evenly in the pan. Using an offset spatula will make this job easier.
- Lining the baking pan with parchment paper in addition to the non-stick spray will make it super easy to lift the brownies out of the pan once they’ve cooled.
- You can store the brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three days or you can even freeze the brownies for one month, wrapped tightly in tin foil or cling wrap.
What makes brownies fudgy versus cakey?
A fudgier brownie will have more fat in the recipe, such as butter and chocolate chips. A cakier brownie will have a greater ratio of flour and will also call for baking powder to rise. You can see from the ingredients for this Brownie Recipe from Scratch that there is more butter and chocolate than flour so these particular brownies will be fudgy and delicious!
Are brownies better with butter or oil?
You could technically use either for the needed fat in the recipe but each item produces slightly different results.
Using butter in a brownie recipe will allow the brownies to rise a bit because butter is lighter than oil.
If you use oil for your brownies, there is very little air in the batter so the end result is a more dense brownie.
Are they both delicious? Heck yes! It really comes down to preference and sometimes what you have on hand.
Keep the oven hot to bake up more delicious brownies!
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8-inch x 8-inch pan with parchment paper. Spray the pan and paper with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, brown sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth. Then add in the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until you have a thick batter. Fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chunks.
- Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with an offset spatula. Then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean and the top looks set.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares (or however many brownies you want) and enjoy.