It’s a brownie! It’s a cookie! It’s a cupcake! It’s all three!! Brownie Cookie Cupcakes are a trifecta of sweets and the ULTIMATE dessert lover’s treat!
Have you ever stood in the kitchen dreading having to decide what you’re going to eat for dessert? So many delicious options, but you know you shouldn’t have a brownie, and a cookie, AND a cupcake. (Let’s be honest… I do indulge in all three sometimes. Sometimes I cave and eat keto desserts too!)
You worry that you’ll have serious dessert FOMO if you make the wrong choice. Well, worry no more because now you can have all three combined into one delicious cookie cupcake concoction!
BROWNIE COOKIE CUPCAKES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I’m what they call a “chocoholic.” Any way I can get chocolate, I’ll take it. Hot chocolate? Yum. Chocolate covered pretzels? Delish. I’ve even gone as far as trying chocolate-covered bacon (it might sound gross, but believe me… it’s amazing).
For me, no dessert is complete without some sort of chocolate so when I’m looking for new recipes to try, I always make sure it’s got chocolate (or that I can find some way to add it in!). Brownie Cookie Cupcake is no exception to my rule – it’s actually got chocolate in three different ways!
Every year on Valentine’s Day, my boys and I make a special dessert for my husband as part of our Valentine’s Day gift. It’s one small way we can show how much we appreciate him and all he does for our family (and he’s got just as much of a sweet tooth as I do…). This year, we’re making these brownie cupcakes. I love that they combine my favorite cookies (Oreo’s), my oldest son’s favorite dessert (chocolate chip cookies), and my husband’s favorite chocolate treat (brownies)!
My boys love to help out in the kitchen and this is one of those recipes that makes it super easy for them to be successful. From mixing, to pouring, to frosting, my sons can make Brownie Cookie Cupcakes from start to finish all on their own. I totally encourage you to invite your kids into the kitchen with you – it helps with their self-esteem, independence, and it’s just a fun activity to do together!
Ingredients for Cookie Cupcakes
- Prepared brownie batter
- Chocolate chip cookie dough
- Buttercream frosting
- Oreo cookies
One thing I love about this cupcake recipe is that you can make it from scratch OR you can make it all from pre-made mixes! So, if you’re looking for a quick, easy dessert that is the perfect recipe to have your kids help with, go with the store-bought mixes like the recipe calls for. But, if you’re feeling ambitious and like you want to perfect your baking skills, go ahead and whip up some chocolate chip cookie dough, homemade brownie mix, and your favorite vanilla buttercream. Either way you choose, Brownie Cookie Cupcakes are sure to be a hit with your Valentine!
How to Make Brownie Cookie Cupcakes
- So, you’re ready to make all your chocolate dreams come true? Perfect. Grab your apron, put on a great playlist and get ready to bake up your new favorite dessert! Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, place cupcake liners in your cupcake pan – I’m loving using silicone cupcake liners these days. They cut down on the waste of paper liners. My favorite liners are linked below!
- Now, place 1 tablespoon of cookie dough in the bottom of the liner. This is going to be your yummy gooey cookie inside. It’s like a surprise hidden in the middle of a delicious brownie cupcake!
- Next, add 2 tablespoons of brownie batter on top of cookie dough.
- Bake the cookie cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and allow them to cool completely on the counter or a rack. As with any cake or cupcake recipe, you’ll want a completely cooled cake so the frosting doesn’t melt. If it’s still warm, the frosting will melt and make a mess (and your cupcakes won’t look nearly as beautiful!).
- While the cupcakes cool, add crushed Oreos to the frosting and mix well. Reward yourself with a taste of your freshly made cookies and cream frosting – you deserve it 🙂
- Once your cupcakes are fully cooled (really…I mean it! Patience is a virtue after all), apply frosting to the cupcakes. If you’re using a frosting bag and tip, make sure your Oreo pieces are small enough to pass through easily! Nobody needs an exploding frosting bag on their hands.
- Last, enjoy your dessert trifecta creation!
I love to garnish my cookie cupcakes with a whole Oreo, it makes the presentation that much more adorable (and it gives you a bit more chocolate to indulge in…). If you’re making these cupcakes for Valentine’s Day like we did, you can add red and pink sprinkles or candy hearts! You can really customize them for any holiday because Brownie Cookie Cupcakes are the ultimate chocolate lover’s dessert ANY time of year!
Other Yummy Cupcake Recipes
Here at Real Housemoms, we love a good cupcake. Cupcakes are great because they are like a blank canvas for flavor. Chocolate, pumpkin, vanilla, I’ve even had margarita flavored cupcakes! Here are some of our favorite tried and true cupcake recipes for you to try:
Snickerdoodle Cupcakes – a fun take on the classic cinnamon cookie. Topped with yummy cream cheese frosting, these cupcakes will satisfy your sweet tooth!
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes – we have already established that I am a true chocolate lover… these cupcakes are my go-to when I’m having a craving! They are rich, moist, and utterly delicious.
Red Velvet Cupcakes – another Valentine’s Day favorite, Red Velvet cupcakes are the perfect treat to share with that special someone!
Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting – these cupcakes taste exactly like fall. I whip a batch of these up every year the moment the air starts to get that Autumn chill.
Looking for some more delectable desserts to share with your Valentine this year? (Or really any other day of the year… because who needs an excuse for a yummy dessert??) Check out these other Real Housemoms favorites:
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Turtles
- Raspberry Cheesecake Bites
- Brownie in a Mug
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Swirled Red Velvet Brownies
- more DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Brownie Cookie Cupcake recipe
Silicone Cupcake Liners: I use these liners for cupcakes and muffins as well as snack holders in my kids’ lunchboxes! I love that they’re so easy to clean and that I’m being friendlier to the environment.
*This post originally posted on 10/19/2012.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners into standard muffin tin.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions.
- Take 1 cookie dough piece from the pack and roll it into a ball. (About 1 tablespoon.) Place one cookie dough ball in the bottom of each muffin tin cup.
- Add 2 tablespoons of brownie batter on top of the cookie dough.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While cupcakes cool, Place 12 Oreo cookies into a ziploc bag and seal closed. Use a rolling pin to crush the cookies. Add cookie crumbs to buttercream and mix until completely incorporated.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes using a piping bag and wide tip or a ziploc bag with a corner cut off. (If using a piping bag and tip make sure that your Oreo pieces are small enough to pass through easily.)
- Garnish each cupcake with an Oreo stuck into the frosting.