Make this White Mexican Hot Chocolate to keep you warm this winter! Cinnamon and cayenne add a touch of warmth for the best single severing drink!
If you’re yet to try White Mexican Hot Chocolate, you need to change that asap!!! The kick of spice, the sweetness of chocolate milk and the subtle fragrance of cinnamon is simply the most wonderful combination. I was a bit dubious the first time I tried it, but the minute I had my first sip, I was hooked!!!
WHITE MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINK pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
It was only the other month I tried making Mexican Hot Chocolate with WHITE chocolate. And while this might sound criminal to some – I actually prefer this to dark or milk chocolate. To be honest, I don’t actually like white chocolate that much, I prefer dark chocolate. I just find white chocolate really sweet – too sweet for my palette.
But I had a serious craving for a hot chocolate and was out of dark chocolate, so I decided to give the white hot chocolate a go. I was pretty sure I’d find it too sweet – and I did when I made it plain – but then when I had the idea to make it a Mexican Hot Chocolate with a kick of spice, it worked so well to balance out the sweetness!!!
This is not spicy, as such. The cayenne pepper brings a slight hum of warmth to the drink, rather than blowing your head of spicy. It’s because white chocolate is so sweet, it makes the cayenne pepper not seem as spicy. And the sweet fragrance of cinnamon is just lovely.
I personally feel like hot chocolate is never complete with a pile of whipped cream on top. I can honestly say that it’s the only reason why I have a can of whipped cream in the fridge – for hot chocolate craving emergencies!!!
Want more hot chocolate recipes?
- Nutella Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker Candy Cane White Hot Chocolate
- Coconut Rum Hot Cocoa
- Slow Cooker Andes Mint Hot Chocolate
- Hoth Chocolate – White Hot Chocolate
- More drink recipes…
Tools used to make this Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe
Mug: This color changing unicorn mug is my FAVORITE!! I put all my hot drinks in it!
Small Saucepan: While I use bigger saucepans for everyday cooking, having a small saucepan lets me make syrups, toppings, and sauce add-ins without taking over the stovetop.
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup WHITE chocolate
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon plus more for sprinkling
- Whipped cream for topping
- Cinnamon stick optional
- Place milk, white chocolate, cayenne pepper and cinnamon in a microwave proof jug (or do this in a small saucepan).
- Microwave until hot enough to make the chocolate melt, but not so hot you'll get burned.
- Mix until chocolate is melted.
- Pour into mug, top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with more cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Add a cinnamon stick for garnish, if desired.