If you are looking for a meal that gives you a perfect blend of sweet and tangy with a slight hint of spice, then this Red Curry Chicken is for you!
The first time I stumbled upon red curry chicken was at a Thai restaurant. I immediately loved how curry was different from any other dish I had ever eaten before. I was impressed by the variety of spices and how each spice magically worked together, adding a unique and delicious depth of flavor in your mouth. Great for any time of year.
RED CURRY CHICKEN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Before sitting down at this Thai restaurant, I have to admit I wasn’t very educated about curry. After falling in love with the complex flavors, I knew I had to check it out and learn more about it.
What is curry?
- In a nutshell, curry is basically a dish with a sauce that has an added Thai or Indian-inspired spice blend, dry or in paste form.
- Indian and Thai curries both use a complexity of spices that offer a unique and delicious taste. However, Thai curry is usually a paste, while Indian is a dry spice.
Red curry, which is the one used in this recipe, uses red curry paste which gets its color from the use of dried red chili peppers. Usually, red curry paste also contains turmeric. This is a great curry to choose because the blend of spices used adds a rich flavor and pairs well with pretty much any choice of protein.
Also, red curry paste seems to be the easiest to find. Most grocery stores carry this item, while in order to find other curry pastes, may require a trip to your local Asian market
I’m so excited for you to taste this Red Chicken Curry. Once you begin cooking, your mouth will begin to water from the flavorful aromas permeating through your kitchen and you will wonder what has ever stopped you from making curry before. And warning, once you’ve wet your appetite with one curry, you will want to try them all.
Want more Asian inspired recipes?
- Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Chili Chicken
- Korean Beef Bowls
- Roasted Miso Chicken
- Curried Macaroni Salad
- One Pot Thai Chicken
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Thai Chicken Curry Coconut Soup
- More chicken recipes…
Tools used in this Red Curry Chicken
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Thai Red Curry Paste: The complex flavors of Thai red curry paste takes your curry recipes to a whole new level.
Coconut Milk: Adding coconut milk to your recipes is a delicious dairy-free option and a staple in some Asian cuisines.
Fish Sauce: This staple ingredient of Southeast Asia adds umami to any recipe.
- 2 Lbs chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3/4 cup onions finely diced
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste I used Mae Ploy brand
- 28 ounces cans coconut milk 2-14 ounces each
- 3 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt optional
- 1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- chili flakes *optional
- Crushed peanuts *optional
- In a heavy bottom skillet add 1 Tbs olive oil
- Add chicken thighs, and brown by cooking for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan.
- Add the onions to the skillet chicken was removed from and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and full fat coconut milk.
- Stir or whisk until paste and coconut are fully mixed together and smooth.
- Add the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil then add chicken thighs into the curry sauce. Cover and turn down to let simmer. Simmer 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add fresh basil and stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, chili flakes, and crushed peanuts
- Serve over rice or veggies