These perfectly seared scallops over creamy pesto sauce are deliciously tender and flavorful with irresistibly nutty caramelized crust.
Love seafood? I’m glad you’re here! I’m going to share with you my little secrets for perfectly seared scallops.
You know, holidays are just around the corner! And during busy holiday season, we just want simple, quick, yet fancy dinners that we can share with friends and family from far or near. Today’s dinner is just that. Simple, quick and fancy!
Real Housemoms TV
Here is what you need to know:
- Dry the scallops! I don’t mean the unprocessed dry scallops here. If you bought frozen scallops, thaw them and drain the excess water. Pat them dry with paper towel. Otherwise, excess moisture will steam the scallops, instead of searing.
- Sizzling hot skillet. It’s important that the pan is nice and hot. When you drop the scallop, it should sizzle and start cooking the scallops immediately, creating nice caramelized crust.
- 4 minutes tops! Don’t overcook the scallops. Or you’ll end up with tough rubbery mess, and no one wants that. Sear for 2 minutes tops on each side. When turning the scallops, don’t force it. When it’s ready, scallops will un-stick from the pan.
These scallops with creamy pesto sauce goes really well with quinoa. I used regular and red quinoa here. Isn’t it beautiful?
- 6 sea scallops
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Dry the scallops with paper towel to make sure there is no excess water. Sprinkle pinch of salt and pepper on each scallops on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil and melt the butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the scallops and sear for about 2 minutes, until nice and gold. Using a tong, flip the scallops. If it’s stuck to the bottom, don’t force and cook a little longer. When it’s ready, it should un-stick easily. Cook for 1-2 minutes on other side. Be careful not to overcook the scallops, which will toughen the scallops. Remove the scallops onto the warm plate. Set aside.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add pesto and heavy cream. Swirl the pan to mix the sauce.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like my…
Seared Scallops Appetizers
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!