For years I saw Giada make Grilled Romaine on the Food Network and wanted to try it but never did. Then this summer on one of my trips to California visiting my parents we made some. I’ve shared with you that my parents let us come visit even though they were in the middle of a never ending kitchen remodel. Because the kitchen was gutted we were cooking everything on the grill and that included a grilled romaine salad. My Mom’s was great and a little bit sweet with the addition of balsamic vinegar. It was fantastic and was totally inspired to make one when I got home.
I decided to make a BIG batch of pesto chicken when I made my Grilled Pesto Chicken Sandwich so that I could save myself some time over the hot grill when we were in the 110+ temps! UGH!!!! Anyway……… I thought some of that pesto chicken would be amazing on top of a grilled romaine salad. I know what you’re thinking but you just ended up in front of the grill again. Isn’t that what you were trying to avoid. Yes. Yes it is but something happens to ones ability to think properly when in extreme temps. 🙂 Anyway, it couldn’t be any easier and it is so fast to through together for those nights when you have to just go on auto pilot. Grab the recipe for the chicken from the sandwich post i told you about and use that to top this salad.
- pre heat grill to med heat
- drizzle romaine hearts with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder
- place cut side down on the grill cook for 2-4 min until browned
- turn and allow to warm all the way through
- remove from grill and sprinkle the shaved Parmesan cheese over the top
- slice the chicken breast and place on top of romaine hearts.