Spring and summer collided on a plate and brought you this delicious LEMON ZUCCHINI CAKE!
I love summer. BEsides the obvious reasons of no school for the kids, sunshine and days pool side. I love all the vegetables that come from garden. I know you can get zucchini all year long at the grocery store (thank goodness) but there is nothing like getting a large zucchini from your own garden. And for gardeners like me who kill almost anything I plant, zucchinis have always produced a massive amounts for me.
Real Housemoms TV
I love cakes, especially with lemon. So I thought why not combine my favorite spring flavor with the vegetable that I most look forward too during the summer. The secet to this cake is the ease of making it. Just a few ingredients and you are ready to
bake eat your heart out.
Enjoy your summer friends and grab a slice of this cake. You’ll be happy you did.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 4- ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 cups grated zucchini
Whipped Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round baking pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients: cake mix, pudding, and flour.
- Beat in eggs, zucchini, lemon zest, milk and water until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly. Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or center is set and cake is pulling from the edges. You can also use a tooth pick and push it into the center of the cake and when removed it should be clean.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool on baking rack.
- In the mean time prepare Whipped Lemon Buttercream Frosting.
- Whipped Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Using an electric mixer beat butter until smooth, add in lemon zest and powder sugar and mix on low, once the powder sugar is mixed it add in heavy whipping cream and juice from lemon. Beat on high for 3-4 minutes or until frosting is smooth and making soft stiff peaks.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, I like to use a cake stand.
- Assemble layer Cake. Evenly spread the a generous 1/3 of the frosting on top of the bottom layer, then add the second cake on top. Using the remaining frosting, frost the top and the outside of the layered cake. Make sure to spread and frost evenly. Immediately serve or store at room temp.
Love layered desserts as much as I do? Be sure to check out a few of my favorites below.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!