Sweet, tangy, and deliciously refreshing, Lemon Lime Berry Salad is the colorful side dish that summertime dreams are made of!
Nothing screams summer more than a giant bowl of fresh, delicious fruit. If you’re looking to up your fruit salad game this summer then boy do I have the recipe for you! Lemon Lime Berry Salad is the most delicious berry fruit salad I have ever made.
Chocked full of sweet berries, topped with tangy lemon curd and a refreshing honey-lime dressing, it’s simply irresistible. I always mix up a batch of whenever I’m grilling my summer classic, pork tenderloin. They’re a match made in summertime Heaven!
LEMON LIME BERRY SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Berry picking with my kids is one of my all-time favorite summer activities. Even now that my boys are teenagers, I drag them out to the pick-your-own farms at least once a season (they’ll at least humor me that they enjoy it too…). There’s something just so delicious about a fresh picked strawberry and so irreplaceable about finding the perfectly ripe raspberry to pluck off the bush.
Once we’ve got the perfect haul of farm-fresh berries, we always go home and whip up some kind of new recipe. Some years it’s a mixed berry pie. Others we’ve made fresh berry cobblers. This year we decided to go a more simplistic route and make a deliciously simple berry salad recipe!
Believe me when I say, this might be the best summer salad recipe my boys and I have ever created. It’s light, tangy, and simply scrumptious. Lemon Lime Berry Salad is an elevated fruit salad that gives off all the BEST summertime vibes. I get the feeling we’ll be heading back to the farm to pick more berries VERY soon…
Berry Salad Ingredients
The best thing about summer is readily available fresh summer berries are. You can absolutely go pick your own berries at your local farm, but store-bought is perfectly delicious too!
Fruit – Of course, the perfect berry fruit salad is going to be full of all kinds of yummy summer fruits. For this lemon-lime berry salad, you’ll need raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and lime.
Lemon Curd – Don’t be scared off by the thought of making homemade lemon curd, it’s really very easy! You just need some fresh lemon juice, egg yolks, sugar, and butter.
Berry Salad Dressing – You may be thinking “salad dressing?? On a fruit salad??”. Trust me… this berry salad dressing is perfection and it’s the ultimate compliment to the sweet berries. To make it you’ll just need some lime juice, honey, and lime zest!
How to make Berry Salad
So you’ve got your fresh summer berries, time to start mixing up your berry salad!
- Your first step is to make the lemon curd: start by juicing the lemons and separating the egg yolks.
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine the sugar, egg yolks, and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
*It’s SUPER important that you use a glass bowl and not metal. In a metal bowl, the lemon juice will react and give it a metallic taste – nobody wants that!!*
- Next, place the glass bowl on top of a double boiler (a pot smaller than the glass bowl that you boil water in) and slowly cook the curd in without scrambling the eggs.
- While the curd is on the double boiler, whisk continuously for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. It’s important to keep whisking, use those arm muscles!
- Once the curd is thickened, remove it from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Next, pour your thickened curd into a glass jar and pop it into the refrigerator to cool.
- Now it’s time to get the fruit ready! Clean the fruit and slice the strawberries. Arrange it in a bowl.
- Time to make your berry salad dressing! In a small bowl, combine honey, lime juice, and lime zest. Whisk to combine and pour over the berries and mix gently to coat.
- Pop the dressed berry salad in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the dressing flavor the fruit.
- When you’re ready to serve it, scoop out some berry salad into a small bowl, top it with lemon curd, and a little extra lime zest!
Looking for more summer classic side dishes? Try out some of these other Real Housemoms recipes!
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Big Mac Salad
- Citrus Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Classic Watergate Salad
- more SIDE DISH recipes…
Tools used to make Lemon Lime Berry Salad
Glass Mixing Bowl: for the perfect lemon curd, you need the perfect glass mixing bowl and this is the one!
Stainless Steel Saucepan: this pot is the perfect size to use as a double boiler for your lemon curd.
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 lime sliced
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
Honey Lime Dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lime zested
- In a medium glass bowl, whisk together the sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolks. (DO NOT use a metal bowl. The lemon juice will react with it.)
- Place the glass bowl on top of a saucepan with a couple of inches of simmering water. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. You're creating a double-boiler.
- Whisk the lemon curd for about 10 minutes until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter one piece at a time until melted.
- Pour into a glass jar, cover, and refrigerate until cooled.
- Rinse and dry the fruit. Hull the strawberries and slice them in half. Place all the fruit in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, honey, and lime zest. Pour over the berries and stir to coat.
- Place the berry salad in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill and let the dressing do its work.
- To serve, top portions of berry salad with some lemon curd and a little extra lime zest, if desired.
Love it. Can do a substitute for the sugar?