Warm and buttery Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are deliciously sweet and can be ready on your plate in under 30 minutes!
Super simple and deliciously rich, Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect holiday side dish! Brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg come together to create these perfectly spiced mashed sweet potatoes that your family will request year after year.
A NEW WAY TO COOK A CLASSIC
Why bother trying to juggle another pot of boiling water on the stove when you can let the Instant Pot do all the work? This recipe is perfect for any weeknight dinner or holiday meal!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH INSTANT POT MASHED SWEET POTATOES
Brown Sugar Cranberry Sauce – No holiday meal is complete without a killer homemade cranberry sauce.
Green Beans with Honey Pecan Butter and Cranberries – These tangy and crunchy green beans are the perfect compliment to Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
Sweet Potatoes: This Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe will use 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed. I like to get garnet sweet potatoes for that pretty orange color, but any variety will work.
Spices: You will need 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and another 4 tablespoons of melted butter. You’ll also need a teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and just a pinch of nutmeg to make these perfectly spiced mashed sweet potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATOES IN INSTANT POT
STEP TWO: Place the diced sweet potatoes into the steamer basket and distribute them evenly. Now place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure that the steam valve is set to “sealed.” Cook the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes on high pressure (manual setting).
STEP THREE: Once the potatoes are finished cooking, carefully quick release the steam valve to release the pressure from the Instant Pot. Open the lid to remove the steamer basket. Drain the potatoes using a colander. Add the melted butter to the Instant Pot and return the sweet potatoes. Next, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to the Instant Pot.
STEP FOUR: Finish these mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot by using a potato masher to incorporate the butter, brown sugar, and spices. To serve, top with an additional sprinkling of brown sugar and butter.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- You can peel and chop the sweet potatoes ahead of time to save on prep later. I like to do this for the holidays, but it’s a handy time saver for weeknights too.
- Allow your Instant Pot to come up to full pressure before starting the 10 minute cooking time.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are properly drained before adding them back into the Instant Pot to avoid a soupy consistency.
ARE YAMS AND SWEET POTATOES THE SAME?
The yam versus sweet potato question is complicated and simple at the same time. Yes, yams exist and are different than sweet potatoes.
However, all the “yams” you have ever eaten were probably sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes have a thinner, more reddish skin. They also have that vibrant orange color we come to expect when we cut them.
There are also a number of sweet potato varieties that include flesh with either white, red, yellow-orange, or even purple coloring.
WHAT ARE CANDIED YAMS?
Candied yams are simply boiled sweet potatoes baked in a brown sugar and butter glaze. This sugary syrup candies in the oven, enhancing the sweetness of the potato. These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes don’t quite qualify as candied yams. They do however have the perfect balance of sugary sweet and buttery to make them a standout side dish for any meal.
OTHER AMAZING SIDE DISHES
- Rosemary and Garlic Instant Pot Potatoes
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Liz’s Candied Carrots
- Broccoli Salad
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into cubes. Add the water to your instant pot and place the trivet or a steamer basket inside. Add the sweet potatoes and spread them out evenly.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to sealing. Then turn on the Instant Pot to high pressure (manual) and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooked, carefully flip the valve open to quick release the pressure. Open the lid, remove the steamer basket, and drain the potatoes.
- Add the melted butter to the Instant Pot. Return the drained potatoes to the pot, and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Mash everything together with a potato masher until the butter, sugar, and spices are mixed in and the sweet potatoes are smooth. Serve warm.