This post is sponsored by Mirum. All opinions expressed are my own.
Check out these easy homemade dog treats with whole wheat apple sauce and peanut butter! The best healthy treats to reward your favorite furry friend!
If you’ve been following me for a while, you’ll already know I have two pups who are my pride and joy (aside from the kids, of course). I consider their happiness and well being almost as much as I worry about my own kids, which is why I’m always looking at what I feed and give to them.
I hated not knowing if any store-bought dog treats were actually okay for them to have on a regular basis, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I’m officially one of those dog moms who make homemade food for the dogs. With how simple and healthy these homemade dog treats are its a no brainer compared to feeding them the junk food dog treats from the store.
HOMEMADE DOG TREATS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your PUPPY pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
How To Make Homemade Dog Treats
Like I said before, this recipe is a breeze to get through.
- You’ll just need to combine all of your ingredients into one bowl and stir until combined. Once combined, use a rolling pin and roll out the dough onto a lightly floured flat surface until it’s about 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a bone shaped cookie dough cutter (or the shape of your choice) cut out desired shapes and place them onto a prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake until the edges are golden brown.
- Let the treats cool completely.
Place into an airtight container or sealable treat jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. These homemade peanut butter dog treats will also last up to 8 months in the freezer. Just be sure to let them thaw completely before feeding to any pups!
Keeping Your Dogs Happy & Healthy
Since it’s been established now that my two Boston Terries (Sam and Ollie) live the good life, of course, that means they get to run to their hearts content outside and often go for runs in the woods, which they love! What I don’t love is how their time in the woods make them prime candidates for ticks and fleas.
We’ve definitely been there done that a few too many times with carefully picking off ticks, and stocking up on flea treatment products after a good fun-filled summer day in the woods, so don’t feel bad if you have to too!
Clearly, from my willingness to home bake their own homemade dog treats with pumpkin, I don’t want to make them sacrifice their happiness for the sake of their health. So, instead of depriving them of their love for the woods I started protecting them with PetArmor Plus, a vet quality formula that assists with killing fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks, chewing lice.
Make Tick and Flea Prevention Easy with PetArmor Plus
I used to always forget flea and tick products because we aren’t at the vet that often, and would always run out before our next visit was due. Once I found out that PetArmor Plus is now sold at PetSmart, it was a no brainer! I can conveniently pick it up while I’m getting new toys and food for the pups, because who doesn’t love when errands can be made into a one-stop shop!?
Now I can stop making unnecessary trips to the vet and start caring better for Sam and Ollie myself at home since PetArmor Plus is so easy to apply yourself.
Applying PetArmor for Dogs
- Remove product tubes from the package.
- Separate one tube from the others.
- Hold the tube with notched end pointing up and away from the face and body. Use scissors to cut off the narrow end at the notches along the line.
- Invert tube over dog and use open end to part your dog’s hair.
- Squeeze tube firmly to apply all of the solution to the dog’s skin as a spot to the dog’s back between the shoulder blades.
- Keep treated pets apart from each other, other pets and children for 24 hours after treatment and until the product is dry. This helps prevent pets from ingesting the topical by licking or grooming one another.
Reward Your Pet With A Homemade Dog Treat!
We all love our pets and want to keep them safe, but that safety might not always be fun for them, so my best advice for making treatment time less painful, is to end it on a sweet note by rewarding them with one of those freshly baked healthy homemade dog treats.
Before you go out and get your own PetArmor Plus don’t forget to snag this $5 off coupon for PetArmor Plus for Dogs or Cats, 3ct valid March-September 2019 with this PetSmart-specific Ibotta offer!
- 1/4 cup peanut butter all natural, no sugar added
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 1/4 cup applesauce all natural, no sugar added
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together peanut butter and coconut oil until creamy and smooth.
- Add in pumpkin and apple sauce, stir until completely mixed.
- Stir in cinnamon until mixed through.
- Slowly add in whole wheat flour. Stir until texture of a sugar cookie dough.
- Flour your surface and roll out your mixture. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Treats will not rise.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut treat and place them on your baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Place in oven for 12-15 minutes.
- ***Place treats on a cooling rack and make sure they are completely cool before putting them in a container. If they are warm still this will accumulate mold within a few days.****
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!