The most flavorful Chicken Fried Rice ever! This fried rice recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. One bite and you’ll forget all about getting takeout!
Chicken fried rice is the perfect way to use up leftover rice, feed your family dinner, and get tons of flavor with almost no work! This is one of those recipes that you are like, “What? How is this so easy?” And you might be asking yourself why it tastes so good too!
CHICKEN FRIED RICE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
So let’s answer that question, why is this Chicken Fried Rice so amazing? The key to amazing chicken fried rice is super flavorful chicken. Don’t just use any old chicken. For this recipe, you get an amazingly simple, but majorly flavorful chicken, that you then shred, and mix in with the rice mixture.
I cooked the chicken from frozen in the instant pot pressure cooker, to make it quick and easy. But it can also be cooked on the stove top, or even the crock pot.
The chicken is cooked in ginger powder, soy sauce, and hoisin, with onions. It gives it some flavor complexity, and depth of flavor you don’t get with just basic shredded chicken. Once it is cooked, it is mixed with the rice, carrots, peas, and green onions. So much better than using just soy sauce. When you mix in a little hoisin and salt and pepper it gives your fried rice a great flavor. Prep is easy because there is almost no chopping. You just have to chop one onion, and shred some chicken!
The rice is best if it is day old. It makes it a little dryer, which helps with the “fried” factor. But if you want to make fresh rice, that works too. You can use an instant pot for that too, or you can use a rice maker.
You want to fry an egg, and scramble it some you get those nice pieces of egg throughout, and then add a bag of frozen peas and carrots mix. So easy!
Want more Asian inspired recipes?
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Crab Rangoon
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Ramen Noodle Stir Fry
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Chicken Fried Rice recipe
Instant Pot: This all-in-one cooker is the best thing I’ve put on my countertop! It’s a pressure cooker, slow cooker, makes rice in minutes, and more!
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Wok: Great for cooking high temp recipes and Asian dishes! This wok has quickly become one of my favorite kitchen tools!
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs hoisin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups day old rice
- 12 ounces frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Hoisin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
Instant Pot Chicken
- If cooking your chicken in the instant pot, put oil in the bottom, chicken (frozen is fine), water, onion, ground ginger, hoison, and soy sauce.
- Put lid on, and lock it, turn valve to sealing.
- Press "Manual" and cook for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick release pressure,
- Remove chicken, shred, put back in sauce, then strain.
Cooking Chicken Stovetop
- Thaw chicken first, then put chicken and all ingredients in a skillet, and cook over medium heat, cover with lid, and let simmer until cooked through, approx 6-7 minutes per side, until internal temp is 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken, shred, toss back in sauce, then strain
- In a large wok over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, and then crack two eggs into the center, and scramble. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once eggs are scrambled, add rice, chicken and onions, package of carrots and peas, soy sauce, Hoison, salt and pepper.
- Stir fry, mixing all ingredients together
- Stir in green onions.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!