Sweet and sour sauce is a quick and easy homemade version of your favorite takeout condiment! This silky smooth sauce comes together in a matter of minutes using on-hand pantry ingredients!
Sweet and sour sauce is a quick and easy homemade version of your favorite takeout condiment! This silky smooth sauce comes together in a matter of minutes using on-hand pantry ingredients and is perfect for a weeknight dinner fix! I especially love dipping crab rangoon in this easy sweet and sour sauce, it’s the perfect pairing!
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Today I’m happy to share with you a sweet and sour sauce recipe that is so easy to make you’ll wonder why you’ve never made it yourself!
First, let me just clarify that this homemade sweet and sour sauce is not an authentic Asian recipe for sweet and sour sauce. It’s the Westernized version of sweet and sour sauce that we are used to here in the States. Just so we’re clear. It’s super quick and easy to make this sweet and sour sauce at home — we’re talking 5 ingredients and 5 minutes folks!
How to make sweet and sour sauce
- Add ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch slurry, stir to combine, and cook until thickened.
- Serve immediately or store for later.
It’s made with easy to find ingredients that you probably already have, and of course, a homemade sauce like this is going to be WAY healthier than anything you’re getting pre-made in a bottle. All said, we’re talking a total win in my book and reason enough to put down the takeout menu.
Oh, and if you want this to look even more like what you see at restaurants or with take-out, you can add a few drops of red food coloring to get that bright red color. (They also make natural versions of food coloring. The one for red is made from beets, if you can find it.)
What is Sweet and Sour Sauce?
Is Sweet and Sour Sauce Gluten-Free?
How to Make Sweet and Sour Sauce
Start by adding ingredients into a saucepan and bring up to a boil. Next, add the cornstarch slurry and stir to thicken. You can serve immediately or store to serve later.
I generally use this sauce with a stir fry of chicken and veggies and serve it all over some steamed brown rice. Talk about a delicious dinner you can feel good about serving to your family! You could also use this as a dipping sauce or pair it with another protein or as part of a grain bowl if you want to change things up.
Regardless, I hope you give this homemade sauce a try and see how easy and completely delicious it is!
Love amazing sauce for your food? These are my favorites!
- Fry Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Pourable Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Sweet and Tangy BBQ Sauce
- Honey Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- More appetizer recipes…
Tools used to make this Sweet and Sour Sauce recipes
Small Saucepan: While I use bigger saucepans for everyday cooking, having a small saucepan lets me make syrups, toppings, and sauce add-ins without taking over the stovetop.
Glass Prep Bowl: These little bowls are great for serving condiments and dipping sauces with any dish.
Mason Jar: Mason jars are great for storing everything from salad dressing and coffee creamers to overnight oats and all kinds of delicious make-ahead dishes!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or substitute apple cider vinegar)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Combine water, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and soy sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl until well mixed.
- Once the sauce mix has come to a boil, stir in the cornstarch slurry and stir constantly, for about a minute, until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and use immediately or store in a jar or air-tight container for up to 2 weeks. Reheat and add extra water, as needed, to get it to the right consistency.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!