DIY WOODEN COASTERS ARE a quick, easy & super cheap project that could double as a cute homemade gift for someone special!
Lately, I’ve been on a black, white, and dark wood kick the our decor. I’ve been drawn to simple, minimal, natural elements around the house and have been incorporating lots of dark, stained wood. These DIY coasters fit in perfectly, are functional, and add a little interest to our coffee table!
They’re simple to make, too! Just a couple supplies from the craft store or hardware store are all you need!
- A small sheet of thin plywood. They sell this at most craft stores. I used 1/8″ thick birch plywood and it measured 12″ x 12″. This was plenty for my 6 coasters (could actually make 9 coasters out of this one sheet).
- Wood stain (ideally, a stain with poly like the one pictured above will also protect your coasters from liquid spills).
- White craft paint
- Foam brushes
- Number stencils
- Upholstery tacks (sometimes called furniture nails)
- Black felt
- Spray adhesive
And here’s how you make ’em:
- Cut your plywood into 4″ squares.
- Stain your wood and allow it to dry.
- Using white craft paint, stencil on your numbers and allow paint to dry.
- Next, hammer in upholstery tacks to each corner (for some added interest). The tacks will probably stick through the wood … see next step.
- I simply bent the tacks on the bottom side using a hammer as shown.
- Next, cut 4″ squares out of your felt. Using spray adhesive, glue the felt squares to bottom of coasters (this will also cover up any sharp edges of the upholstery tacks).
That’s it! A simple project that you can complete in an afternoon!
They are useful AND add some interest to our table:
If you’re in need of a homemade gift idea, you could wrap these up with some ribbon and give to someone special. Maybe a cute housewarming gift? Or a Valentine’s Day present?
And if you’re looking for more DIY coaster ideas, you can check out these Love Quote Coasters (Just in time for Valentine’s Day!):
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!