This simple & savory ASPARAGUS AND FETA QUICHE is perfect for a spring brunch or light dinner!
There are two types of people in this world: those who love cheese and those who don’t. And by cheese, I mean real cheese – Brie, Blue, Goat, Feta – not your run of the mill cheddar or Monterey Jack. As a cheese lover, I find it hard to believe there are people who don’t like those stronger more flavorful cheeses, and let’s be real here, there are seriously missing out. I am always trying to persuade people to try them and my favorite cheese to get people to try is Feta. It’s like a gateway cheese (is that a thing?) it’s mild, yet flavorful and creamy with the right amount of saltiness. What better way to introduce people to the awesomeness that is Feta cheese, and then baked into a quiche for brunch.
You can start off your quiche with a made from scratch pie crust (I love a good all-butter pie crust!) or if you’re strapped for time you can pick one a pre-made one from the store. Once it’s baked we fill that flakey buttery pie crust with some sautéed asparagus, crumbled feta cheese and finally, an egg mixture. That all gets baked until golden and then it’s ready to serve for breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner…yep you really can eat it any time of day.
With asparagus in season during spring, this quiche happens to be the perfect dish for an easy Easter brunch with family or even a spring lunch with friends. I’d probably pair it with springy sangria (like this Limoncello Sangria or this Sparkling White Peach Sangria), some yogurt and fresh berries and a spinach salad – throw in a ham if your family is like mine and have an Easter tradition.
- 1 9 inch pie crust
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 8 oz asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie dough and prick with a fork several times. Bake according to instructions, or until lightly golden, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and asparagus spears and cook until onion is translucent asparagus spears are slightly tender. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, and Dijon mustard until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the asparagus mixture evenly over the bottom of the cooled pie crust, then sprinkle with feta cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and into the crust.
- Bake the quiche for 35- 45 minutes or until quiche is set and slightly golden brown. Let quiche stand for 15 minutes before serving.