I love a good and easy from scratch cake, but am not one for fancy cakes unless there is a special occasion. One of my favorite cakes to bake is a Texas Sheet Cake! It comes out fantastic every time and is so good and easy to make! Since I didn’t have a reason to make a whole big sheet cake, I decided to make these adorable Texas Sheet Cake Bites!
They are the very same recipe only baked in little bite size morsels! Same fudgy frosting with nuts on top. And it made so many I have a ton in my freezer! Yup I sneak out a couple let them thaw for a few minutes and pop them into my mouth! So so good! Everyone needs a little chocolate in their lives don’t you think? I know I do, and these little bites are a perfect fix for those cravings!
Here’s a little tip if you don’t have buttermilk you can use sour milk instead. To make sour milk just add 1 teaspoon of vinegar into one cup of milk and let it sit for a few minuets and it will start to curdle! I have used this substitution a million times in this recipe and it always turns out great! I hate having to buy a whole carton of buttermilk for a small amount used in a recipe!
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup butter
- 3/4 Cup water
- 5 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (see tip in body of post)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tbs milk (I use either the buttermilk or the sour milk)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 Tbs Cocoa Powder
- 1 1lb box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Cup chopped walnuts
- Prepare mini muffin tins either line with mini paper liners or use a baking spray that has flour in it. Spray pans liberally. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine water, cocoa powder, and butter in heavy sauce pan, bring to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over dry ingredients, lightly mix together. Add milk and eggs. Blend well. Batter will be thin.
- With a small 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop place one scoop of batter in each muffin cup. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until cakes bounce back when lightly touched. Remove from oven. If liners were not used let bites cool for about 10 minuets then using the tip of a knife gently remove from the pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium sauce pan heat milk, butter and cocoa until bubbly, mix in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add in nuts and blend until incorporated. Carefully spoon about a tablespoon of frosting over each bite and let frosting set if you can before eating! Enjoy!
If you like these little gems you might like these as well!