This healthy, high-protein Cherry Almond Breakfast Cookie is the perfect solution for a quick, on-the-go breakfast. Made with all-natural ingredients, no flour, no eggs and no refined sugars these cookies are not only a great breakfast option but also make a fantastic snack!
CHERRY ALMOND BREAKFAST COOKIES
Love it? Pin it to your BREAKFAST board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Do you ever struggle with finding quick and easy breakfast options that are also healthy AND filling? I’ve discovered that preparing breakfasts that I can wrap into individual portions and freeze is ideal. Not only does it help me make smart choices that get my day off to the right start, but when these little goodies are made in advance, its perfect for grabbing and taking with me out the door on a busy morning. These Cherry Almond Breakfast Cookies are the perfect make-ahead breakfast option that can help get your day off to a healthy start!
These cookies are super-simple to make! You’ll start with a couple of ripe bananas for the base, along with almond butter. For the sweetener, I used about two tablespoons of honey, but you can add up to 1/4 of a cup if you like a sweeter cookie. The dried cherries will also add some sweetness, and some wonderful texture. The dough comes together in just minutes, and with the help of a 1/4 measuring cup, they shape nicely into a 3″ cookie.
Once these cookies come out of the oven, they are pretty much ready to devour! Let cool for a few minutes, and then enjoy right away, or transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely. I like to wrap these cookies in plastic wrap, and freeze. I will pull one out of the freezer on my way out the door when taking my son to school. It’s such a convenient breakfast option, especially when you’re short on time, but want to make a healthy choice.
I also love these cookies as a post workout-snack. I typically work out right after I drop off my son at school first thing in the morning. Once I’m done, I’m usually hungry but don’t want to ruin all the work I just put in at the gym. This cookie is the perfect choice! Not only is it filling, but since there is no refined sugar and has lots of protein, it’s a great option that will help me refuel.
Here’s how this easy and delicious breakfast cookie comes together:
- 2 c. oatmeal, quick oats
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 c. almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 c. raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 c. dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oatmeal, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, add the mashed bananas, almond butter, honey and extracts. Stir together to combine. Mix the wet and dry ingredients gradually. Dough will be thick. Stir in the chopped almonds and dried cherries.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out the cookies and pat slightly flat. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy the cookies right away. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, or wrap individually with press and seal wrap, and freeze for an easy grab-and-go breakfast option.
If you loved this easy breakfast recipe, be sure to check out some of Erin’s other breakfast options, like these: