This Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apple Bread takes only 7 minutes prep time and then cooks in the slow cooker for an hour and a half for fresh, hot bread in under 2 hours with minimal work!
Fresh cinnamon apple swirled bread in no time at all. I love a good recipe that involves very little effort on my part, and this is one such recipe. It started with this 7 Minute Crock Pot Artisan Bread. I realized I could use this awesome bread and add herbs, spices, fruits, nuts, etc. to make other variations of delicious to eat bread, without heating my house by heating up my oven, and without spending hours waiting for the dough to rise. This Muesli Bread is just one example of my best crock pot recipes. Yum!
With Fall coming on strong, and apples everywhere, I kept thinking how nice it would be to make an artisan bread that was chock full of baked apples and cinnamon. It is just one of those flavors that reminds me of fall and that brings me back to my childhood spent climbing trees in apple orchards.
And so I bring you this bread. It is soft, it is easy to make, and it is the perfect fall bread. It is great for snacking or for breakfast. And you really don’t need much time to get it made, which means even on a busy day, you can have fresh, hot bread!
What you need to know is you have to put some paper towels under the lid of your crockpot otherwise, the steam will make the bread soggy. You want something that will catch that. And the other thing you want to know is that the bottom will cook darker than the top, so when you have finished cooking it (when the bottom is golden brown), you just pop it under a broiler for a couple of minutes to get the top even with the bottom!
- Mix together warm (not hot) water, yeast, and honey, and let sit for a minute for yeast to foam
- Stir together flour, 1 Tbs sugar, salt, and then mix with yeast mixture and olive oil
- Stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Knead for 5 minutes, either by hand or with a stand mixer and hook attachment
- Mix remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon together, and toss apples in it.
- Gently fold apples and cinnamon sugar mixture into bread dough. And form a ball of dough (your loaf)
- Line a <g class="gr_ gr_75 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="75" data-gr-id="75">crock pot</g> with parchment and place ball of dough in center
- Put paper towels over the top, and put the lid, very slightly ajar over that, this will help absorb some of the moisture so the top of your bread is not mushy and wet while the bottom is crispy.
- Cook on high for an hour and a half, or until bottom is browned (You can just lift it out with the parchment to check how brown the bottom is).
- Remove from crock pot, put on a baking tray, and into a preheated oven set to broil on high. Broil 2-3 minutes or until you reach the desired golden brown.
Hi, can I use brown sugar instead of white?
Aubrey Cota says
Yes. Brown sugar contains molasses, which may change the texture and flavor your baked goods, but the sweetness level will be the same.
Joy trachsell says
How much flour? 2 3/4 cups?? 1 1/2 cups??
Rachael Y says
2 and 3/4 cups