ITALIAN CECI BEAN SALAD is a family favorite that’s fun to say and even more delicious to eat!
Ceci (pronounced chee-chee) beans are simply garbanzo beans or chickpeas. But when my grandma would say, “ceci bean” it made this dish sound so much more exotic.
She even had special “pasta ceci” bowls that she would only use when she would make her pasta fagioli (which is a pasta and bean soup).
She was always making up words to entertain us so I didn’t even realize that ceci beans were real until I was in my 20’s. I used to think it was just a fun word she made up.
This Italian Ceci Bean Salad was a staple in our family. There was always a bowl of it in my grandma’s fridge. It would make an appearance at every family dinner and it was what you went for when you wanted a snack.
It’s no wonder she always made this salad. It’s so easy to make and keeps forever in the fridge. You can also easily double the recipe to make it for a crowd. And, it’s one of those recipes that tastes 10 times better when you make it a few days ahead of time. The flavors really soak into the ceci beans.
Ceci beans are a great source of protein and fiber. So this salad is perfect for a quick and healthy lunch, too. Sometimes, I even add it on top of a salad. It’s so versatile.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-16 oz can garbanzo beans (drained but not rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, dried parsley, salt and pepper until combined.
- Add drained garbanzo beans, minced onion and minced parsley.
- Stir until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.