Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Poke Cake is a super easy dessert recipe that is perfect for celebrating the Fourth of July!
I’m so excited that summer vacation is finally here!! Our kids get out late in June but don’t go back until after Labor Day. Those last two weeks were rough on all of us. We totally had summer fever! The last day of school I over slept and we ran around to get the kids dressed, fed and out the door in 10 minutes to catch the bus. I’m so excited to be able to sort of sleep in and do some travelling! Right now I’m getting super excited for the Fourth of July!!! I can’t believe how close it is already. This year we’re having a group of friends over for a BBQ and some fireworks and it’s going to be great! I always over cook for parties but that’s what makes it fun! I was thinking of desserts and decided I wanted a Cheesecake Poke Cake this year. Poke cakes are amazing because they’re super simple, can be made the day before AND they taste amazing!!! I tested it out for Memorial Day and decided that I wanted to make it a red, white and blue dessert.
I went to Fred Meyer to grab what I needed and saw all the gorgeous berries! I love working with Fred Meyer, it seriously is my FAVORITE grocery store!! Their produce section is huge and it was full of delicious berries to inspire me! There is nothing better than fresh berries in the summer, so I had to go for it and decorate my cake with them. People love when cakes look like the American flag. My friend Rachael made a great cake decorated with strawberries and blueberries several years ago for the Fourth of July and to this day when I see my Grandfather he brings up that cake! They’re pretty spectacular! I messed up when I was decorating and swapped my colors, so my cake turned into red, white and blue stripes but the feeling still comes through! 🙂 I like it because you could also serve this up for the Olympics!
We had my husband’s family in town for Memorial Day and the cake was a hit so I can’t wait to make it again for the Fourth of July this year but I’ll make sure to decorate with the cake to look like the flag this time! 🙂 Red White and Blue Cheesecake Poke Cake couldn’t be any easier and it tastes amazing! It definitely a must-make this summer!
- 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix plus ingredients listed on pkg.
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice fresh
- 2 cups Homemade Cool Whip
- 1 pint strawberries hulled
- 1 pint blueberries
- bake yellow cake in a 13x9 baking pan according to package directions
- remove from oven and allow to cool slightly so that the cake is only warm
- poke holes in the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon or a chopstick
- whisk the cream cheese using a mixer until fluffy
- pour in the sweetened condensed milk and whisk until smooth and completely incorporated
- add in the vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice and stir till combined
- scrape down the sides and bottom to make sure all is mixed evenly
- pour cheesecake mixture over the top of the cake and spread evenly, making sure that it pours into the holes
- cover place in refrigerator until completely cooled, about an hour
- remove the cake from fridge and spread Homemade Cool Whip over the top in an even layer
- make a square in the upper left hand corner using rows of blueberries
- place the strawberries in rows along the rest of the cake to resemble the red and white stripes of the American flag.
- keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
- slice and serve!