I realize that summer seems to be slipping by again this year, but there’s still plenty of time for a fun, summer inspired craft! These Potato Stamped Watermelon Towels are a great activity for kids … especially if you’re looking for something new to do!
They couldn’t be easier, and your kids will get a kick out of using potatoes to stamp with! They add a little color to your next backyard gathering … and what says summer like watermelons??
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Here’s how …
- Grain sack dishtowel (I got mine in a 6 pack from Target for $2.99)
- Uncooked Potatoes, quartered lengthwise. You can use varying sizes if you wish to have multi-sized watermelon stamps!
- All purpose craft paint in three colors: Pink, Green, Black
- Two small paint brushes
- Pink thread for edges of towel (optional)
1. For a fun (and completely optional) detail, I sewed around the edges of an ordinary potato sack dishtowel with a zig zag stitch.
2. Lay your dishtowel on some scrap paper or cardboard (since the paint will seep through).
3. Next, grab your potato stamps and dip into the watermelon colored paint. Stamp these onto the towel in a random pattern.
4. After you have enough pink watermelons, grab a small paint brush and paint a green line around each watermelon.
5. Grab your other paint brush and add some black seeds to your watermelons.
6. Allow paint to dry for at least 12 hours. Then, wash and dry towel once before using (to prevent the painted part from being stiff).
It makes a great towel at the beverage cooler:
And … you can use this same technique to just paint some artwork, too:
So … enjoy every last bit of summer, and celebrate in style with these dishtowels! Thanks for having me here today! I’ll be back next month with some more craftiness, but until then, I’d love for you to stop by and say hello over on View From The Fridge! Or you can check out these other two summer inspired crafts:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!