These Blueberry Muffins taste just as sweet and delicious as regular blueberry muffins but are gluten free and lower in calories!
For the last few weeks we have been taking care of my Mother-in-law after she was released from the hospital. So I have been focused on making healthier, lower calorie, lower carb foods not only for her but for all of us. She doesn’t want to give up her sweets though, and is very picky about the taste, as is Mr. Flavor Mosaic.
With a few substitutions, I lightened up the blueberry muffins by using almond milk instead of regular milk, gluten free flour instead of regular flour, a sugar substitute called Whey Low, which I found at Whole Foods, in place of sugar, and coconut oil instead of regular vegetable oil. You could use your own sugar substitute if you like. With one family member who is diabetic, I was trying to reduce the sugar and have an arsenal of healthy snacks recipes.
The recipe resulted in beautiful, deliciously sweet muffins made with fresh blueberries. My Mother-in-Law couldn’t taste the difference between these and regular blueberry muffins. If you’re looking for more healthy breakfast options, both of these recipes are great portable, on-the-go breakfast options, which is exactly what a busy family needs – Mini Veggie Quiche Muffins & Rocky Road Chocolate Smoothie. How about you? Are you ready to lighten up and try these Light Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a 1-cup measuring cup; stir together egg, 1/3 cup oil, and 1/3 cup almond milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free flour, sugar substitute, salt and baking powder.
- Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Be sure not to over mix.
- Gently stir in blueberries with a wooden spoon.
- Using an ice cream scoop, or large spoon, scoop the batter into each prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F in a preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Makes 6 muffins.