Welcome guests into your home an easy and festive DIY ‘Give Thanks’ Thumbtack Sign, just in time for Thanksgiving!
I love that it offers just a touch of glam to my Fall mantel without being overwhelming. I also love that this project required NO fancy tools or cutting machines or stencils. I was actually able to create this with items I already had around the house! No trips to the craft store, Target, or Lowes … which is always a task for me these days with three kiddos in tow.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Piece of wood … I found this scrap piece of wood left over from our trim installation in Owen and Charlie’s Room.
- Craft paint or stain (or neither if you want the raw wood look). I used watered down white craft paint to give my wood a ‘whitewashed’ look.
- Thumbtacks … a container of 100 was enough for my sign.
- Optional: a Gold Leafing Pen or Gold sharpie (I used this because the thumbtacks I had on hand were silver … and I really wanted the gold look. You could just buy gold thumbtacks from the start.)
- Paint or stain your piece of wood and let dry. To create this whitewashed effect, I used equal parts water and white craft paint.
- Use a pencil to sketch out your words or phrase.
- Start sticking in the thumbtacks along the lines (use a hammer if necessary … depending on the wood you are using, it can be a little hard on the thumbs).
- Optional … ‘paint’ or color your thumbtacks if you want them another color. Mine were silver, I used this gold leafing pen to quickly change them to a warmer gold color.
And the finished product …
Perfect addition to my Fall Mantel:
Besides the drying time of the paint, I think the project took me a whole 20 minutes from start to finish! My mind is already dreaming up a similar sign for Christmas … or maybe Valentine’s Day, or Easter, or …..
Thanks for having me here today! I hope this project gives you a little inspiration for your holiday decor this year.
If you like this project, you may also like my DIY ‘Be Grateful’ Pallet Art:
I’ll be back next month with more craftiness, but until then … I’d love for you to stop by and say ‘hello’ over at my corner of the world.
Art Elisa says
Wow, that board turned out great! I’m totally stealing this idea for my home!