These Whole Wheat Oatmeal Blackberry Pancakes are truly the fluffiest pancakes ever!!! No one will know they’re whole wheat but you!
When I think of a delicious breakfast on the weekends I think of pancakes. They’re so good but I usually feel a little guilty eating them. I’ve made them with whole wheat flour before but they turn out HEAVY and dry. I’ve started using whole wheat pastry flour and I really love the difference. I’m still getting more fiber without feeling like I just ate a brick. Now, don’t get me wrong, there is sugar and butter in these but if I was going to have pancakes anyway I think making simple swaps is better than no swaps. After I made them I thought that they’d be good with honey in place of the sugar. Next time. If you decide that you want to just do an equal swap sugar for honey and let me know what you think.
I put the berries in the blender before adding them to the batter because of my kids. I can’t get them to eat whole blackberries but I found a long time ago that if I blend them and put them in the batter they will eat them. I don’t get it. They aren’t hidden, it makes them purple but that’s how they’ll eat it so that’s how I make it. These were a really big hit and I just had to share them with you all right away!
- in a medium bowl combine the flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder, salt and oatmeal
- puree blackberries and sugar together (feel free to use a tsp or two of water if needed)
- in a small bowl combine the egg, milk, butter, blackberries and vanilla extract
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined (there will still be lumps)
- warm a griddle and grease with cooking spray or butter
- pour by the 1/3 cup full and cook until bubbles form
- flip and cook the other side until golden
- top with butter and syrup