What do you love more? Rhinestones or classic J Crew? What if I said you can have BOTH? The answer is easy with these easy DIY J Crew Inspired Flats!
It’s so easy to recreate DIY J Crew Embellished Flats yourself, like for realsies: sooooooo easy AND if you have spent all your extra spending money on school clothes (I DID), then this tutorial is also easy on the bank account. I love rhinestones and sometimes they get a bad rap.
DIY J CREW EMBELLISHED FLATS
Like this tutorial? Pin it to your STYLE pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
As I preparing for this post, I was actually having some writer’s block. So you know… I spoke to my husband about it for some helpful advice and that convo looked a lot like this…
Me: “They are just faux ballet flats with rhinestones; what more do I have to say about that?!”
Hubby: “Well, you know talk about your style and how you like a employ a little tackiness in your wardrobe.”
Me: “Wait, WUT?! You think leopard and rhinestones are tacky? You think leopard is tacky?”
Hubby: “Not at all but you know what I mean, you know, that tacky fashion quote”
Me: “Um yes, are you saying the rhinestones are tacky?”
Hubby: “Well, you know what I mean, that tackiness quote…”
Two things I learned from my husband that night,
- My husband, Seth, actually retains some of the things that come out of my mouth. LOTS of things come out of my mouth so I give him lots of mad props for remembering one of my favorite fashion quotes from Diana Vreeland (1960’s Vogue Editor-in-Chief). Among many of the things she has said (here), the following quote is my favorite: “We all need a splash of bad taste.”
- He might think rhinestones are on the bad taste side… gasp!
So whether you are agree or disagree that fact of the matter remains, J Crew and bad taste can never be found in the same sentence. However, if Seth’s take on rhinestones is true then they nailed his fashion reference! The flats we are redoing today (see here) are sweet and gentle but the rhinestones definitely add more pizzazz to the look. For those that love rhinestones but are a little intimidated by them and want to casually bring them in your wardrobe, this post for you. For those that want to experiment with some bad taste, TA DA, I have you covered! So let’s get started!
DIY J Crew Embellished Flats
- flats or shoes of your choice, thank you clearance flats from Target
- strong glue like e6000
- Collect your supplies. Take the time plan which rhinestones you want to use and where to place them.
- Put a little glue on the back of a rhinestone.
- Glue in place.
- Finally, allow the glue to cure for 2-3 days. It dries pretty quick but the longer you let the glue dry, the stronger the hold. I made some embellished sandals on my blog a little over a year ago and the glue is still going STRONG.
I am super excited to wear these DIY J Crew Embellished Flats because I actually own quite a few pairs of leopard flats (see here: DIY Valentino) and have never really worn these before. Needless to say, I’m so thrilled about the face lift! Thank you for dropping by this month, whatever your thoughts are on embellishments (ahem, team rhinestones), I hope you can give this try!