This Cranberry Buckle is an easy skillet cake recipe filled with sweet and tart cranberries!
Love it? Pin it to your DESSERT board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
It’s cranberry season! From Thanksgiving, to Christmas, all the way through New Year’s cranberries can be used in everything from drinks to desserts. I love using cranberries in recipes because I think they are so pretty and I love their tartness. Add a little sugar and they have the perfect mix of sweet and tart. I’ve used cranberries for years in things like my cranberry fluff, but this year I’ve been experimenting with cranberries in new recipes. I’ve made this amazing cranberry sweet potato casserole and this cranberry buckle that is out of this world.
Real Housemoms TV
First we should probably start with what a buckle is. I had never heard of it either but a friend of mine from the Midwest introduced me to it. A buckle falls into that same category of desserts as cobblers, crumbles, crisps, grunts, and brown betties. A buckle is a cake-y batter that is poured into a pan or skillet first and then has fruit placed on top of the batter. The cake rises up around the fruit giving it a buckled look. It’s really easy to make and it uses simple ingredients so it is perfect for the holidays when you need to whip up something quick and easy for last minute guests who stop by.
The cake batter is made with a mix of flour, baking powder, milk, and sugar. I like to make my buckle in a skillet so I melt butter in my skillet then pour the batter in and sprinkle cranberries over the top. Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top and put the whole thing carefully in the oven to bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour, or until a toothpick poked into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
When it comes out of the oven this rustic cake smells so good! Cut it into a wedge and serve it on a plate with a scoop of ice cream and you’ve got yourself the perfect winter dessert!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat and melt the butter in it.
- While the butter melts make your batter. In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, and baking powder. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add milk to the dry mixture whisking it together.
- Add the vanilla stirring until mixed.
- Pour the melted butter into the mixture, stirring until fully combined. Then pour the mixture into the skillet.
- Sprinkle the cranberries over the top of the mix going all the way out to the edges. The cake will puff and the cranberries will move inwards as it bakes.
- Sprinkle the top with a little more sugar and then place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake cake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted int he center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!