This CHERRY CORDIALSKILLET COOKIE is the perfect decadent, gooey sweet treat for two!
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, my husband and I are pretty much homebodies. We usually secure a babysitter (aka, my mama), and stay home and cook a dinner for two together. I mean, there is nothing less romantic to me than having to deal with overbooked restaurants, crazy long wait times, and the jacked up prices on everything. So, we pick up a couple of nice steaks, whip up a quick salad, sip on a nice bottle of wine, and then top it all off with a decadent homemade dessert made for two. 🙂
One of the first things I always think of when I think of Valentine’s Day is chocolate covered cherries (and strawberries, chocolate covered strawberries are always a winner in my book too). I have been dying to bake up something in my new 5 inch cast iron skillet, and thought why not an ooey, gooey cookie for two inspired by one of my favorite candies- cherry cordials?
The cherries in this Cherry Cordial Chocolate Skillet Cookie take a nice long dip in chocolate flavored vodka, but you could certainly soak them in the liqueur of your choice. Or you can omit the booze altogether if you would prefer, and leave the cherries plain (just skip step #1 in the recipe below). This cookie is drizzled in a simple glaze that is reminiscent of the fondant that you usually find in the center of a chocolate covered cherry. If you really want to take this dessert over the top, serve with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream on top. Just don’t forget the two spoons… or one. You could totally just make this for yourself and not share one gooey, chocolaty bite. 😉
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/4 cup chocolate vodka (could also use a cherry liqueur or brandy)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp juice from the jar of maraschino cherries
- Combine the maraschino cherries and the chocolate vodka in a small jar and cover. Refrigerate overnight, shaking a few times.
- Preheat heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 5 inch cast iron skillet with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix well. Now add in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Drain the vodka soaked cherries, and add them to the cookie batter. (Reserve a few of the cherries to top the cookie with, if desired.) Add in the dark chocolate chips and fold both the cherries and the chocolate chips into the cookie batter.
- Spread the cookie batter evenly into the prepared skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are done. The center should still look slightly under baked (don't worry- it isn't!).
- Let the cookie cool to warm. While the cookie is cooling, prepare the glaze. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, corn syrup, water, and cherry juice until smooth.
- Garnish the top of the cookie with the reserved cherries and then drizzle with the glaze.
- Serve warm with two spoons. Enjoy!
If you loved this recipe, you might also like my…
Don't miss a bite!
Want to receive our recipes and custom meal plans right to your inbox? Make sure to subscribe & get a copy of Dinner Made Easy - 10 simple dinner ideas that only need one pot or pan!