Who doesn’t love jalapeno poppers? What’s not to love? Jalapeno and bacon! It’s love at first bite, but I’ve got something better for you today! A twist on those spicy, cheesy poppers, and you just might love these Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms even more!
My daughter recently graduated from college. I can’t even believe it y’all! It seems like just yesterday we were dropping her off in a strange city 5 hours from home! It went by in the blink of an eye and now she is on to new and exciting adventures in another strange city. We are so proud of our girl, and we look forward to watch her write the next chapter in her life.
For graduation weekend we hosted a small get together with some of her college friends and their families. Because Madison LOVES jalapeno poppers they had to be on the menu for our party, but I wanted to make them with an extra special twist for our extra special occasion. I scoured the internet for ideas, and knew I had a winner when I found Jalapeno Popper Mushrooms on allrecipes. This recipe had all the same tasty flavors of jalapeno poppers but stuffed into a handy mushroom. Genius! Cream cheese, spicy jalapenos, sweet garlic, sharp cheddar and salty bacon baked in a savory mushroom cap for maximum flavor. I had a feeling this was going to be a favorite appetizer right from the start, and I was so right!
Not only do these Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms blow your mind with all the fabulous flavors, they are easy to make too! The hardest part is probably seeding and dicing the peppers. It took me about 10 minutes to throw this together and get it in the oven. By the time they were ready, they smelled like heaven on earth! I just wanted to gobble them all up, but I still had to take pics, and let me tell you what, that was torture! I finally couldn’t wait any longer, and sneaked a bite right in the middle of their closeup! It was everything I imagined and more. Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms will be a regular appetizer at all of my gatherings from here on out, and, because they are low carb, they will no doubt be my lunch from time to time! I already want to make them again!
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 large white mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped (reserve caps, with gills, for stuffing)
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- pinch of salt
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and double line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a skillet over mid-high heat, cook the bacon until well browned and beginning to crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Allow to cool and then crumble. Set aside until ready to use.
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Remove the stems (reserve the caps for stuffing) and finely chop them.
- Over medium heat, add the chopped mushrooms, 1/2 tablespoon freshly minced garlic, diced jalapeno, and a pinch of salt to the bacon drippings in the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms soften and release their juices. This will only take a few minutes. Tip: Use 1 jalapeno for less heat or 2 jalapenos for more heat. I prefer to use 2. Keep in mind jalapenos vary in spiciness. Sometimes I get one that is hot and other times they are quite mild. Adjust the flavor to your liking and the heat level of your jalapeno.
- Remove from heat and transfer the mushroom mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon into the bowl. Mix well to combine. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and give it a taste. Adjust the seasonings as needed. If it is not spicy enough for you, add more diced jalapenos.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the mushroom caps, distributing it evenly. Place each mushroom on the foil lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until you notice the mushrooms releasing their juices and the cheese is melted. They'll start to smell great right about the same time they are ready.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro if you like and enjoy!
Another must-try appetizer is my Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms. Sauteed garlic shrimp carefully stuffed inside mushroom caps and smothered in creamy Mozzarella is a deliciously elegant appetizer for any occasion…