Warm Bacon Corn Smashed Potato Salad is a delicious change up on a traditional potato salad with it being served warm and with chunks of bacon and corn.
I got the idea for this dish from a great chain of restaurants that were started in our area but are now spreading across North America called Earl’s Restaurants. We had this just a few weeks ago and my lord was it good. It would pair with just about any entree or with a big spoon on it’s own, LOL. With Thanksgiving coming up in the US (I am from Canada and ours is long gone) this would be something different to serve. A nice diversion from the usual mashed potatoes.
Corn and bacon pair so nicely with potatoes and served warm all the flavors are alive! With a little horseradish, mustard and lemon the dressing it robust but not over powering.
Up close and delicious! You can’t go wrong with this side dish!! It will become a new family favorite!
This dish is very simple to make and can be reheated. You may want to add a little more mayonnaise and sour cream if making ahead as the potatoes like to absorb any moisture.
- 2 lbs. red and yellow new potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1/2 lb. bacon 1" chunks, cooked to lightly crisp
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2-1 tsp. horseradish
- 1/2-1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives to garnish
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Meanwhile mix together the Parmesan cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, dry mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Squish the hot potatoes with a potato masher and add them to a large bowl with the corn and bacon. Mix in the dressing carefully. Garnish with chives and serve warm.
What is a dinner without a great side dish I ask you? They just seem to make the meal! ENJOY!