A creamy, delicious Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate is the perfect way to get the holidays started! Pair it with peppermint schnapps for even more holiday cheer!
SPIKED PEPPERMINT HOT CHOCOLATE!
Love it? Pin it to your DRINK board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
As soon as the weather turns colder, I love enjoying a warm mug of homemade hot chocolate! It’s the perfect way to warm up after being out in the cold, and when you add a shot of peppermint schnapps, it turns into the ultimate chocolatey cocktail. The holidays are a perfect time to make this minty delicious drink, and an awesome drink to enjoy after an evening of stringing up the lights or trimming your tree.
If you’ve never made hot chocolate from scratch, I have to say that you’ve been missing out! The fact of the matter is homemade hot chocolate is simple and made with just a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry and fridge. Once you have a mug of this chocolate deliciousness you’ll never buy the powdered stuff again. It’s so wonderfully creamy, and when you add the liqueurs this drink instantly becomes an amazing hot toddy!
Once you bring all of your ingredients to a low simmer, you’ll hot chocolate is basically ready to enjoy. Before you ladle the hot chocolate into the mugs, you’ll want to add the liqueurs. Simply add the peppermint schnapps and the creme de cocoa to each mug, and then ladle in the hot chocolate. From here, top your hot chocolate with plenty of marshmallows and crushed peppermints. Add a candy cane for a fun stir stick to add even more peppermint flavor. If you’re more of a whipped cream on your cocoa kind of person, feel free to substitute this instead of the marshmallows.
- 3 c. whole milk
- 2/3 c. chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 oz. peppermint schnapps - per glass
- 1 1/4 oz. creme de cocoa - per glass
- crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- In a medium saucepan, add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar, and salt.
- Heat on medium-low heat, whisking frequently. Continue whisking until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture comes to a low simmer. (Do NOT let boil, as it will burn to the bottom of the pan.) Once the liquid comes to a low simmer, promptly remove from heat.
- To 3 medium mugs, add 1 1/4 oz. (1 shot) each of the peppermint schnapps and creme de cocoa. Ladle in the hot chocolate to each mug. Top with marshmallows and crushed peppermints. Enjoy right away while hot.
I hope you get to kick back and enjoy a warm, comforting mug of this delicious Spiked Hot Chocolate. It’s the perfect way to add a little extra Christmas cheer to your holiday season! Cheers! ~Erin
If you loved this hot chocolate recipe, be sure to check out some of Erin’s other delicious spiked hot chocolate recipes over at Delightful E Made:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!