If you follow us on Facebook you saw that my sister in law and soon to be brother in law came out to visit this weekend. We had sooo much fun getting to hang out with them and check out our new home state! We’ve been so busy around the house since moving in we haven’t ventured out as much as we would have liked. Having guests in town helped to get us out and away from our projects to take in some of the amazing sights. We did some hiking, went to the Tillamook Factory (drool), and we saw some really breathtaking waterfalls. It’s just so gorgeous here that it was fun to explore with family.
We also had to eat some great food right? For breakfast one morning I made this Orange French Toast with Cranberry Syrup. I used the cranberry simple syrup and the leftover cranberries that I used in my Sparkling Crantini and it was delish! The French toast has orange zest in it so you get a hint of the orange flavor but it wasn’t over powering. It was the perfect rich breakfast to serve company in the Fall. It was so simple but seemed a little fancy. 🙂 I think I might try to make a make ahead version for Thanksgiving morning!
Orange French Toast
- 1 large French bread loaf
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 c cranberry simple syrup
- 3 T of leftover cranberries from simple syrup
- 3 T brown sugar
- 2 T water more to thin out syrup if needed
- slice bread into one inch slices
- allow to dry out either over night or in oven set to 170 degrees
- heat electric griddle to 350 degrees or skillet on the stove to med heat
- in a shallow dish beat eggs and milk together
- add vanilla and orange zest
- grease the skillet with butter or cooking spray
- place bread slices into egg mixture and gently press down making sure that it absorbs the mixture for 30 seconds and flip to get the other side
- place on heated skillet and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 5 min., and flip to cook the other side
- continue until all pieces are cooked.
- I keep mine in a 170 degree oven to stay warm until all the pieces are done
- in a med sauce pan combine the simple syrup, leftover cranberries, brown sugar and water and heat over med high heat, stirring occasionally
- bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
- cook until it is the desired thickness, about 5 min
- drizzle over the french toast and enjoy!
This post shared at The Weekend Potluck at The Country Cook