Who doesn’t just love one pan recipes? I’ve never met a person that cooks and cleans that doesn’t love them. They make dinner clean up a sinch and they can really turn out the best tasting dishes most of the time. This one pan chicken and vegetables recipe is so good and tastes as good as it does BECAUSE you cook it in the one pan. You start by cooking the chicken in the pan and then take them out and set them aside. If you look in the bottom of the pan you will see little stuck on pieces of flavor at the bottom of the pan. That’s what gives these vegetables the best flavor ever. I couldn’t stop sneaking a bite here and there while I was setting up the photo. I think I’ve found my new favorite go to chicken dish!
There are some things to keep in mind with this one pan chicken recipe. First, not all chicken breasts are the same size. When I buy frozen chicken from Costco they are the biggest and thickest breasts ever. When I buy a bag of frozen chicken in the grocery store they’re fairly small. When I made this dish I bought my chicken from the butcher at the grocery store and they were pretty thick so two chicken breasts weighed about a little over 2 pounds. I sliced them in half length wise, creating 4 thinner breasts. Make sure that if you do this you don’t cut them down the middle, like a chicken strip, you want them to be the same shape but thinner. Regardless, when you cook the chicken you’ll just adjust the cooking time to accommodate for the size breast that you use. The chicken should be cooked through with no pink in the center.
I also used a bit of Chardonnay. If you’d rather not use wine you could use chicken broth but the alcohol is cooked out and it really does add a depth to the flavor. The chicken stock would give you a good flavor too if you need and alternate. I hope you give this one pan chicken & vegetables a try soon, it really was amazing!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c chardonnay or your favorite white wine
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 yellow squash sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 c fresh basil julienne
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- heat olive oil in a large, oven safe skillet over med high heat
- season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- place in pan and cook on first side for 5 min until golden brown
- turn and cook the other side for another 5 min until golden brown
- place in oven and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear
- remove from oven and place chicken on a plate
- place back on stove over medium high heat
- melt butter and wine to the skillet, scraping up the flavor bits on the bottom of the pan
- add in the onion and cook for 2-3 min
- add in the garlic, cooking for 1-2 min
- add in the squash, zucchini, and oregano.
- place a lid on the pan and cook for 3-4 min until squash is tender but not mushy
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- stir in the tomatoes and cook until warmed through
- place the chicken back in the skillet and any juices on the plate, just until chicken is warmed
- sprinkle basil over top and serve
- serve and enjoy!