A couple of years ago we were still in Arizona and my parents had come to town for Thanksgiving. I decided to take advantage of the entire family being together and have a tree decorating party. I wanted to make a special breakfast that screamed Christmas so I made these Gingerbread pancakes with Lemon Syrup. They are so delicious. The lemon syrup is the perfect balance to the gingerbread pancakes. They really brighten up the pancakes.
Yesterday we had our first snow since moving to Oregon! They kids (and me too) were so excited to have snow. Believe it or not we used to get snow in Scottsdale too but it wouldn’t stick. In fact the first snow my kids saw was in the desert! Last year we went up to Flagstaff and had a white Christmas but yesterday’s snow was the first time they got to wake up to a snow falling and sticking. I’m looking forward to all the fun memories we get to make together in our new home and this is one of those memories!!!! What breakfast could be better than these gingerbread pancakes on a cold snowy morning? They were a big hit with my kids and my husband and I.
Real Housemoms TV
What’s your favorite snowy morning breakfast?
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- 1 c water
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 t lemon zest
- 2 T lemon juice
- in a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice
- in a larger bowl beat egg and milk
- add in molasses and oil
- dump flour mixture in to milk mixture and stir just until combined
- heat a griddle to 350 degrees or medium heat
- pour 1/4 c fulls of batter on to buttered griddle
- to make gingerbread shaped pancakes place a heat safe cookie cutter on the griddle and melt butter inside
- pour pancake batter inside and fill up to 3/4 full
- when bubbles form on top of pancake remove cookie cutter and flip
- in a small pot mix sugar, nutmeg and corn starch
- add water and heat over med heat and bring to a boil
- boil until thick
- remove from heat and add, lemon juice, zest and butter
- stir to melt butter
- Serve and enjoy!