FRIED GREEN TOMATOES are a great way to use up the unripe tomatoes from your garden. Crispy, tart and oh-so-Southern they’ll have you grabbing a glass of sweet tea and saying “ya’ll” in no time!
Let me start off by saying, I am not a Southern girl. I was born and raised in NE Ohio and have lived here my whole life. I am, however, a Southern girl at heart, and have often thought I must have lived in the South in another life because I feel so connected to the South.
Every year, for the past 20 years, my family has gone on a road trip to South Carolina to vacation for a week. It was during one of these trips I was first introduced to Fried Green Tomatoes. It was love at first bite! Crispy and crunchy with that distinctive sour-bite from the unripe tomato, I had never tasted anything like it. Whenever I head south, I always make sure to get an order of Fried Green Tomatoes to satisfy my taste buds.
Real Housemoms TV
This year, we aren’t heading to South Carolina, but I did get my fill of Fried Green Tomatoes last month when I was in Florida. We enjoyed a spectacular meal at SLATE, a fabulous restaurant nestled in the Dr. Phillips neighborhood of Orlando. We started our meal off with the most amazing Fried Green Tomatoes I had ever eaten! (Click here to read all about it!) Naturally, I wanted to recreate those wonderful Fried Green Tomatoes at home…so although I had never attempted making Fried Green Tomatoes myself, I set off to give it a try.
I found a great recipe on Allrecipes to guide my way through the cooking process. I’m a good cook and a great baker, but I am terrible at frying things. But… I was determined to give this recipe a try, so I didn’t let it stop me. I used my cast iron skillet and only about a half inch of oil. It worked out perfectly! I was a little concerned that I might not be able to find green tomatoes at the store but, I was able to find green tomatoes sold specifically to make Fried Green Tomatoes right here in my Ohio grocery store!
I decided to serve these Fried Green Tomatoes like they did at SLATE, with a good buttermilk dip! I used a jarred buttermilk dressing I like, but you could make your own instead. It’s up to you!
My version of Fried Green Tomatoes were every bit as good as the ones I enjoyed at the restaurant and as good as the one’s I’ve had down South. If you are a fan of Fried Green Tomatoes, give this recipe a try and tell me what you think!
- 2 - 3 green tomatoes (make sure they are true unripe tomatoes), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBS water
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup dry plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk dressing
- Put tomato slices on layers of paper towels to dry a bit.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Beat the eggs with the water in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Combine the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Dip the tomato slices in flour, then the egg mixture, then the cornmeal mixture and add to the oil.
- Cook until golden brown on one side and carefully flip to cook the other side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with additional salt if desired
- Serve warm with buttermilk dressing for dipping.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!