What do you get when you ever so carefully arrange lots of thinly sliced potatoes in a neat spiral topped with chopped shallots and crispy pancetta, and then bake until nice and tender with a crispy outside? Deliciousness!! That’s what you get! It’s called a Crispy Potato Roast and it is officially my new favorite side dish!
This is a magical dish! The flavors are so delicate and combine so beautifully to create this impressive side dish. The potatoes are placed ever so carefully into an oven safe skillet or dish and seasoned simply with just salt and pepper. Stuff some chopped shallots randomly between the potatoes and then roast to tender deliciousness in a mixture of rendered pancetta fat and butter. Oh my yumminess! I only wish I had made a bigger serving! Don and I devoured this in no time!
Real Housemoms TV
Be sure to plan ahead when making this recipe. It does take an hour and a half, but it is sooo worth the wait!
- 2 tablespoons diced Pancetta or more to your liking
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In an oven safe skillet over medium heat, cook the pancetta to render the fat. Once you have some fat in the skillet, remove the pancetta and set aside. I used a 6" skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon melted butter to the skillet.
- While the pancetta is cooking, start slicing the potatoes. I recommend using a mandolin to get them nice and thin. As you slice each potato, gather up the slices in a neat row and set aside. Continue slicing until you have enough to fill your skillet. I used 4 regular sized yukon gold potatoes for a 6" skillet.
- Once the potatoes are sliced, arrange them nicely in the skillet. Stand them up and place them around the edge of the skillet in a nice row. Once you have potatoes arranged in a spiral around the outside of the skillet add some to the center if you have room.
- Stuff the chopped shallot pieces randomly between the potato slices
- Pour the remaining melted butter over the potatoes
- Salt and pepper the potatoes
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour
- Top potatoes with reserved pancetta and 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- Bake another 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from marthastewart.com’s Crispy Potato Roast
I also recommend my Sweet Potato Chips with Garlic Aioli
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!