Fall and festive dishes are upon us. With all the rich casseroles on the table I always like to make a simple veggie dish that isn’t so rich but still delicious for the holidays. These CRANBERRY SAGE CARROTS completely fit the bill.
I love adding cranberries in so many dishes and baking for the holidays, their gorgeous color just makes a recipe come alive! This dish is sweet from a little sugar and honey but with the tart cranberries and a little lemon has it is completely balanced out.
The sage adds another festive note. These carrots would go great with many dishes from turkey and chicken to roast beef and pork or ham.
The carrots are cooked in chicken broth to give them added flavor and the honey gives then that nice gleaming glazed look.
Serve up a big bowl of these on your holiday table and they will be gobbled down for sure. Easy, delicious, and a lot healthier than the big cream-laden casseroles that will be also out!
- 1 1/2 lb. carrots sliced on the diagonal
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage
- Bring carrots, chicken broth, salt and 1 Tbsp. of sugar to a boil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until almost fork tender, about 6-8 min.
- Uncover and increase heat to reduce the liquid to almost 2 Tbsp. by simmering rapidly for about 1-2 min. Add the butter and honey and stir well to coat. Add the dried cranberries and continue to cook, stirring frequently for about 3 min.
- Take the pan off the heat and sprinkle with the lemon juice, toss to coat. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle on the sage, and season with salt to taste. Serve immediately.