Peppermint whipped ricotta cream filling, a pie crust tube, and delicious chocolate drizzled on top make these easy Chocolate Drizzled Peppermint Cannoli the perfect holiday treat!
CHOCOLATE DRIZZLED PEPPERMINT CANNOLI!
Love it? Pin it to your DESSERT board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Real Housemoms TV
Cannoli are an Italian dessert that are basically a pastry shell filled with a creamy, sometimes cheesy (ricotta) and sweet filling. They are delicious and fun, and a real treat. I love cannoli, but was feeling a little too lazy to do all the work required to make real cannoli.
We just had Thanksgiving and I bought a few pie crusts just in case my crusts didn’t turn out (I like to be prepared). So I had a box of rolled up pie crust leftover, and decided I would make a delicious cannoli filling, and pipe it into a pie crust shell. It was so easy, and as a result, I may never make my own cannoli shells again. So long authentic cannoli, hello easiest thing ever!
I rolled the pre-made crust dough around cannoli molds, and quickly fried them up in some vegetable oil.
If you don’t have cannoli molds I am not sure what to tell you as I have not found a great alternative. You can order them on Amazon. Or you could make these as mini cannoli filling filled pies instead of tubes. It would still taste amazing. Anyway, I made my shells, and dusted them with powdered sugar.
Then I whipped up a delicious cannoli filling, I went with a ricotta peppermint filling, as I thought it would taste amazing with the shells drizzled in chocolate and sprinkled with more peppermint chocolate. They taste great, and are really beautiful as well as delicious.
Cannoli purists will argue this is no cannoli, so feel free to think of it as cannoli inspired if it bothers you. The filling started with Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipe for cannoli filling, and got a fun holiday twist. So I am going to think of it as partially authentic, and wholly delicious.
Want a bite?
If you decided to serve these at your holiday parties, comment and let me know! I would love to know what you think.
- 2 cups ricotta cheese preferably whole milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 box 2 pieces pre-made pie crust dough
- Oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint
- Preheat oil to 360 degrees F
- Open your pie crust dough and using a round cookie cutter or bowl that is 3-4 inches in diameter, cut out rounds for your cannoli.
- Wrap around the cannoli molds, and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cook on a cooling rack
- In a large bowl, whip ricotta until smooth, then beat in powdered sugar, and peppermint extract into the ricotta.
- In a separate bowl whip cream until it is stiff, then gently fold into the ricotta mixture.
- Put mixture in a piping bag, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips in 20 second intervals using a microwave, stirring between each interval. Then stir the vegetable oil in to make it easier to drizzle.
- Once melted, gently either dip your pie shell cannoli into the chocolate, just one end, or drizzle on top.
- Then quickly sprinkle crushed peppermint or peppermint chocolate pieces over chocolate before it hardens.
- When ready to serve, pipe filling into the middle and enjoy.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!