Skip going out in the cold and make these CARAMEL APPLE DOUGHNUTS yourself! They’re the best sweet fall treat!
For someone that doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth, I do LOVE doughnuts. They are a major weakness of mine; I could probably eat a dozen all by myself, not that I’ve tried that. I guess it’s lucky that we don’t have any good doughnut places nearby.
Real Housemoms TV
But it’s fall, and it’s apple cider season, and doughnuts and apple cider just belong together. And to celebrate the long awaited arrival of some fall weather I made caramel apple doughnuts.
These are cake style doughnuts and not yeast raised, and other than the frying part (not fun but SO worth it) are pretty simple to make. You will need a doughnut cutter, and a thermometer makes the frying part easier. It is important that the oil is not too hot (keep it to 350 degrees) or you will have doughnuts that are doughy on the inside and burnt on the outside, and believe me, I’ve made my fair share of raw burned doughnuts.
Get more great recipes like this one on our Best Breakfast Recipes pin board!
For The Glaze:
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp caramel extract
- vegetable oil for frying
- heat oil to 350 degrees
- sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
- stir in the melted butter, buttermilk, egg, extracts, and apple butter
- roll dough to about 1/2 inch disc on a lightly floured surface
- cut using a floured doughnut cutter
- (re-roll scraps only once - or the dough will be too dense)
- fry in oil until golden (you may need to turn them over once if they do not flip themselves)
- drain on brown paper bags
- to make the glaze - whisk together the powdered sugar, the milk and caramel extract ( a little caramel sauce is delicious too)
- carefully dip doughnut into the glaze, and allow glaze to firm up on backing racks
make sure to fry up the doughnut holes too, they are the best part if you ask me
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!