I’m working on losing weight but I’m planning a Valentine’s Day menu for my husband and I. When I plan for a special occasion I usually like to have all the foods that are so rich and decadent that you can only have them a few times a year. It’s my excuse to let loose and eat 20,000 calories, right? Well right now there is money on the line. I’m in a friendly little competition to see who looses the most weight. So I can not tell you how excited I was to find the inspiration for this pasta dish over at Skinnytaste. This dish tastes so rich but because you’re using the squash to make the sauce there is no cream so you can afford to add a little parmesan cheese and butter. Not a lot, just enough for the flavor. I think past is such a romantic dish. Maybe leftover childhood memories of The Lady and the Tramp but it’s also my husband’s favorite so it’s perfect for Valentine’s Day.
- 1.22 lb Turkey Sausage I used Sweet Italian
- 1 lb butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 T butter
- 14.5 oz whole wheat Penne pasta or your favorite
- 1 T olive oil
- 8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 c shallots diced
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 2 c baby spinach roughly chopped
- 2 T shaved parmesan cheese
- 4 sage leaves thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- bring salted water to a boil in a large pot
- add butternut squash and cook until soft
- remove and add to blender
- blend with 1/4 c of cooking water
- add pasta to boiling water
- while that cooks remove sausage from casing and add to a large deep skillet over med high heat, break apart as it cooks
- remove from pan after fully cooked and set aside
- add olive oil to pan and mushrooms, cook until tender then removed and set aside
- add butter to pan and sauté shallots and garlic, cook until golden, stirring often
- add butternut squash, spinach, sage, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste
- add back in the sausage and mushrooms and another 1/4 c of cooking water
- remove pasta once done and add to large dish
- toss with sauce
- serve with parmesan cheese, optional
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!